Current:Home > reviewsSeattle will pay $10 million to protesters who said police used excessive force during 2020 protests -Capitatum
Seattle will pay $10 million to protesters who said police used excessive force during 2020 protests
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:04:30
SEATTLE (AP) — Seattle has agreed to pay $10 million to 50 demonstrators who sued over the police department’s heavy-handed response to racial justice protests in 2020, in a settlement announced by attorneys from both sides Wednesday.
The protesters were among tens of thousands who rallied downtown and in the Capitol Hill neighborhood for weeks following the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police — a period that saw Seattle’s police department abandon its East Precinct building as well as the establishment of the “Capitol Hill Occupied Protest,” a six-block zone taken over by protesters.
The police department — led by then-Chief Carmen Best — used aggressive techniques to disperse the crowds, including flash-bang grenades, foam-tipped projectiles and blast balls that explode and emit pepper gas.
At some points during protests, people in the crowds did cause damage, including burning police cars and trying to set a fire at the East Precint. But a federal judge ordered the department to stop using chemical and other weapons indiscriminately against against peaceful demonstrators.
When police used them even after Best and then-Mayor Jenny Durkan promised they would stop, the City Council voted unanimously to bar officers from doing so.
Among the plaintiffs in the lawsyit was Aubreanna Inda, who was standing in the middle of a street before a phalanx of officers in riot gear when a blast ball hit her in the chest and exploded, causing her to go into cardiac arrest. Volunteer medics and other protesters performed CPR and brought her to a hospital.
Others included a teenager whose finger was partially blown off, a disabled veteran with a cane who was tear-gassed and tackled and dozens who suffered hearing loss, broken bones, concussions, severe bruises, PTSD or other injuries, according to the lawsuit.
The case involved more than 10,000 videos, including police body-worn camera recordings, and hundreds of witness interviews.
“Historians should review what we collected and write the true story of the shameful behavior of our City against the Peaceful Protesters,” Karen Koehler, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said in a statement Wednesday.
City Attorney Ann Davison said in a statement that lawsuit had resulted in a “significant drain” on time and resources and Seattle is not admitting liability in the settlement, which was signed Tuesday.
“This decision was the best financial decision for the City considering risk, cost, and insurance,” Davison said.
A three-month trial had been expected to begin in May.
veryGood! (94)
Related
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Former North Carolina labor commissioner becomes hospital group’s CEO
- Pitchfork Music Festival to find new home after ending 19-year run in Chicago
- Francesca Farago Details Health Complications That Led to Emergency C-Section of Twins
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Lou Donaldson, jazz saxophonist who blended many influences, dead at 98
- Kid Rock tells fellow Trump supporters 'most of our left-leaning friends are good people'
- Michigan soldier’s daughter finally took a long look at his 250 WWII letters
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Wildfire map: Thousands of acres burn near New Jersey-New York border; 1 firefighter dead
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Why was Jalen Ramsey traded? Dolphins CB facing former team on 'Monday Night Football'
- Sister Wives’ Christine Brown Shares Glimpse Into Honeymoon One Year After Marrying David Woolley
- Britney Spears Reunites With Son Jayden Federline After His Move to Hawaii
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Brian Austin Green Shares Message to Sharna Burgess Amid Ex Megan Fox's Baby News
- Karol G addresses backlash to '+57' lyric: 'I still have a lot to learn'
- South Carolina lab recaptures 5 more escaped monkeys but 13 are still loose
Recommendation
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Former NFL coach Jack Del Rio charged with operating vehicle while intoxicated
Love Is Blind’s Chelsea Blackwell Reacts to Megan Fox’s Baby News
Father sought in Amber Alert killed by officer, daughter unharmed after police chase in Ohio
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Jessica Simpson’s Sister Ashlee Simpson Addresses Eric Johnson Breakup Speculation
Chris Wallace will leave CNN 3 years after defecting from 'Fox News Sunday'
Democrat Cleo Fields wins re-drawn Louisiana congressional district, flipping red seat blue