Current:Home > ScamsCalifornia may have to pay $300M for COVID-19 homeless hotel program after FEMA caps reimbursement -Capitatum
California may have to pay $300M for COVID-19 homeless hotel program after FEMA caps reimbursement
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:06:23
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California cities and counties still don’t know how much they’ll have to pay for Gov. Gavin Newsom’s pandemic program to house homeless people in hotel rooms after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said in October that it was limiting the number of days eligible for reimbursement.
State and local officials say they were stunned to learn via an October letter that FEMA would only pay to house homeless people at risk of catching COVID-19 for at most 20 days — as opposed to unlimited — starting June 11, 2021, which is when Gov. Gavin Newsom rescinded the sweeping stay-at-home order he issued in March 2020.
In response, the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services requested that FEMA reconsider the policy change, saying that it would cost cities and counties at least $300 million at a time when budgets are tight and that local governments had relied on assurances that the federal government would pick up the cost.
Late Tuesday, FEMA said in a statement that it will review California’s Jan. 31 letter, but that all states had been provided “the same guidance and policy updates throughout the pandemic.”
Newsom announced the hotel housing program — called Project Roomkey — in March 2020 as part of the state’s response to the pandemic. Homeless advocates heralded it as a novel way to safeguard residents who could not stay at home to reduce virus transmission. FEMA agreed to pay 75% of the cost, later increasing that to full reimbursement.
California officials argued to the federal agency that no notice was provided on the policy change.
Robert J. Fenton, the regional administrator for California who wrote the October letter, told CalMatters, which was first to report on the discrepancy last week, that the policy was not new.
“What I’m doing is clarifying the original guidance of the original policy and providing that back to them,” he told the nonprofit news organization.
FEMA declined Tuesday to make Fenton available to The Associated Press for an interview.
Brian Ferguson, a spokesperson for Cal OES, said earlier Tuesday that inaction by FEMA “would have a chilling effect on the future trust of local governments and the federal government” in times of crisis.
veryGood! (84)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Suspect in killing of Baltimore tech entrepreneur held without bail
- Russia hosts the Taliban for talks on regional threats and says it will keep funding Afghanistan
- Putin marks anniversary of annexation of Ukrainian regions as drones attack overnight
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- 400-pound stingray caught in Long Island Sound in relatively rare sighting
- Flooding allowed one New Yorker a small taste of freedom — a sea lion at the Central Park Zoo
- Man tied to suspected shooter in Tupac Shakur’s 1996 killing arrested in Las Vegas, AP sources say
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- What is 'Brotox'? Why men are going all in on Botox
Ranking
- Small twin
- Say goodbye to the pandas: All black-and-white bears on US soil set to return to China
- 'Dumb Money' fact check: Did GameStop investor Keith Gill really tell Congress he's 'not a cat'?
- Who is Duane 'Keefe D' Davis? What to know about man arrested in Tupac Shakur's killing
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- The Meryl Streep Love Story You Should Know More About
- Britney Spears Grateful for Her Amazing Friends Amid Divorce From Sam Asghari
- Pilot of small plane dies after crash in Alabama field
Recommendation
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Is New York City sinking? NASA finds metropolitan area slowly submerging
Judge ends conservatorship between Michael Oher and Tuohy family in 'Blind Side' fallout
Death toll from Pakistan bombing rises to 54 as suspicion falls on local Islamic State group chapter
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Almost all of Nagorno-Karabakh’s people have left, Armenia’s government says
NBA suspends former Spurs guard Joshua Primo for 4 games for exposing himself to women
Duane Keffe D Davis charged with murder in Tupac Shakur's 1996 drive-by shooting death