Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:American man admits to attacking 2 US tourists and killing one of them near a famous German castle -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:American man admits to attacking 2 US tourists and killing one of them near a famous German castle
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 01:08:47
BERLIN (AP) — An American man on SafeX ProMonday admitted to charges of murder and rape after he allegedly pushed two U.S. women down a ravine, fatally injuring one of them near Germany’s Neuschwanstein castle last year.
The 31-year-old defendant admitted to the charges during the start of his trial, the German news agency dpa reported. Defendants in the German legal system do not formally enter pleas to charges.
“The defendant has committed an unfathomable crime,” defense lawyer Philip Mueller said in a statement. The defendant, whose name hasn’t been released in line with German privacy rules, confirmed that his lawyer’s statement was correct but did not answer any questions.
The defendant is charged with murder, rape with fatal consequences, attempted murder and possession of child pornography. Murder charges carry a maximum sentence of life in prison in Germany.
The attack happened on June 14 last year near the Marienbruecke, a bridge over a gorge close to the castle that offers a view of Neuschwanstein, one of Germany’s most famous tourist attractions.
Prosecutors say the defendant met by chance the two female tourists, aged 21 and 22, on a hiking path and lured them off the trail. They said in a statement that he apparently first forced the younger woman to the ground and tried to undress her.
When the elder woman tried to help her, a scuffle ensued and the suspect allegedly pushed her down a steep slope. She fell about 50 meters (165 feet) and sustained a head injury, bruises and grazes but survived.
The suspect then allegedly strangled the younger woman until she was unconscious and raped her, prosecutors said, before pushing her down the slope as well. She died.
Prosecutors said they secured a laptop and cellphones from the suspect containing child sexual abuse material.
Authorities say the women didn’t know the man before they met near Neuschwanstein. The suspect was arrested shortly after the attack.
A verdict is expected to be announced in mid-March at the earliest.
veryGood! (3123)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 'Robotic' Bears quarterback Justin Fields says he hasn't been playing like himself
- Kraft is recalling some American cheese slices over potential choking hazard
- Sophie Turner, Taylor Swift step out for girls night amid actress' divorce from Joe Jonas
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- The Asian Games: larger than the Olympics and with an array of regional and global sports
- 50 years ago today, one sporting event changed my life. In fact, it changed everything.
- Catholic priests bless same-sex couples in defiance of a German archbishop
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Russell Brand's assault, rape allegations being investigated: What his accusers say happened
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Man who shot Black teen who mistakenly went to his door enters not guilty plea; trial is scheduled
- What Biden's unwavering support for autoworkers in UAW strike says about the 2024 election
- Father and son sentenced to probation for fire that killed 2 at New York assisted living facility
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Judge sets trial date to decide how much Giuliani owes 2 election workers in damages
- Lana Del Rey says she wishes her album went viral like Waffle House photos
- South Korean leader warns Russia against weapons collaboration with the North
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Young Latinos unable to carry on a conversation in Spanish say they are shamed by others
Connecticut agrees to a $25 million settlement in the Henry Lee evidence fabrication case
Former federal prosecutor who resigned from Trump-Russia probe says she left over concerns with Barr
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Google sued for negligence after man drove off collapsed bridge while following map directions
Asian Games offer a few sports you may not recognize. How about kabaddi, sepaktakraw, and wushu?
David Beckham Netflix docuseries gets release date and trailer amid Inter Miami CF hype