Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:UNESCO is criticized after Cambodia evicts thousands around World Heritage site Angkor Wat -Capitatum
EchoSense:UNESCO is criticized after Cambodia evicts thousands around World Heritage site Angkor Wat
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 15:49:39
BANGKOK (AP) — The EchoSensehuman rights group Amnesty International has strongly criticized UNESCO and its World Heritage program for failing to challenge the Cambodian government’s ongoing mass evictions at the famous centuries-old Angkor Wat temple complex.
The London-based organization in a report released Tuesday charged that the evictions of an estimated 10,000 families by Cambodian authorities violated international and national law.
It said the evicted people have received little or no compensation and the government’s two main resettlement sites have inadequate facilities in terms of roads, water and electricity supplies and sanitation.
The report accused UNESCO of disregarding U.N. guidelines in failing in its obligation to intervene and promote the human right to housing. UNESCO should take a stand especially because its designation of Angkor Wat as a World Heritage site needing protection from damage was reportedly used by Cambodia’s government as an excuse for moving people away from it, said Amnesty.
In response to the findings, the report said that UNESCO World Heritage Center wrote that it “does not have the ability to enforce implementation of rights-based standards and policy recommendations as our role is rather focused on policy advice, capacity building and advocacy.”
There are more than 1,200 World Heritage sites worldwide. Angkor Wat was granted that status in 1992, in part because of fears that the growth of human settlements on the site posed a possible threat to its preservation.
However, the designation was not clear regarding existing settlements, which until last year were left basically undisturbed, said the report. Cambodia is now keen to develop the area for tourism, which lapsed during the coronavirus pandemic.
“Cambodian authorities cruelly uprooted families who have lived in Angkor for several generations, forcing them to live hand to mouth at ill-prepared relocation sites. They must immediately cease forcibly evicting people and violating international human rights law,” said Montse Ferrer, interim deputy regional director for research at Amnesty.
The report says Cambodian authorities claim that the villagers are moving out of the site voluntarily, but that Amnesty’s research earlier this year, including interviews with more than 100 people, established that “almost all ... described being evicted or pressured to leave Angkor following intimidation, harassment, threats and acts of violence from Cambodian authorities.”
“Nobody wants to leave their home,” it quoted one woman who had lived at Angkor for more than 70 years as saying.
In addition to inadequate facilities provided at the resettlement camps, their locations -- almost an hour by motorbike from Angkor — also make it hard to make a living. Many had earned an income by supplying goods and services for the busy tourist trade at Angkor Wat. Those who engaged in farming says their new location has not been prepared for the activity.
“Cambodia is obligated under seven major human rights treaties to respect, protect and fulfill the right to adequate housing,” the report said.
It said Cambodian officials have dismissed Amnesty’s research and inaccurately accused it of reaching conclusions “thousands of kilometers away from the real situation.” Amnesty said at least 15 of the families it interviewed said the government told them they had to move in order to preserve Angkor’s World Heritage status.
It quoted a speech that then-Prime Minister Hun Sen gave last year saying the site risked losing the designation unless they moved away, and those who did not do so voluntarily would get no compensation. Under his authoritarian rule, such remarks were tantamount to official policy.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Netflix engineer reported missing after ride share trip to San Francisco
- Tropical Storm Harold makes landfall on Texas coast. It is expected to bring rain along the border
- MLK’s dream for America is one of the stars of the 60th anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Tropical Depression Harold's path as it moves through southern Texas
- Half of Americans lack access to a retirement plan. Here are the worst states.
- Facebook users in US have until Friday to claim their piece of Meta's $725 million settlement
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Thaksin moved from prison to a hospital less than a day after he returned to Thailand from exile
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Spotless arrival: Rare giraffe without coat pattern is born at Tennessee zoo
- U.S. gymnastics championships TV channel, live stream for Simone Biles' attempt at history
- Correctional officer at St. Louis jail freed after being held hostage by inmates
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Tom Brady and Bridget Moynahan's Son Jack Is All Grown Up in 16th Birthday Tribute
- Biden names former Obama administration attorney Siskel as White House counsel
- Trader Joe's recalls vegan crackers because they could contain metal
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Lawyers win access to files in New Hampshire youth detention center abuse case
Royals unveil proposed ballpark and entertainment district plans for 2 locations
Russia’s Putin stays away over arrest warrant as leaders of emerging economies meet in South Africa
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
A judge will consider if Texas can keep its floating barrier to block migrants crossing from Mexico
National Cinema Day returns for 2023 with $4 movie tickets at AMC, Regal, other theaters
San Francisco Archdiocese files for bankruptcy in the face of sexual abuse lawsuits