Current:Home > InvestPresident Macron says France will end its military presence in Niger and pull ambassador after coup -Capitatum
President Macron says France will end its military presence in Niger and pull ambassador after coup
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-05 23:37:28
PARIS (AP) — President Emmanuel Macron announced Sunday that France will end its military presence in Niger and pull its ambassador out of the country after its democratically elected president was deposed in a coup.
The announcement is a significant, if predicted, blow to France’s policy in Africa, after French troops pulled out of neighboring Mali and Burkina Faso in recent years after coups there. France had stationed thousands of troops in the region at the request of African leaders to fight jihadist groups.
France has maintained some 1,500 troops in Niger since the July coup, and had repeatedly refused an order by the new junta for its ambassador to leave, saying that France didn’t recognize the coup leaders as legitimate.
Tensions between France and Niger, a former French colony, have mounted in recent weeks, and Macron said recently that diplomats were surviving on military rations as they holed up in the embassy.
In an interview with France-2 television, Macron said that he spoke Sunday to ousted President Mohamed Bazoum, and told him that “France has decided to bring back its ambassador, and in the coming hours our ambassador and several diplomats will return to France.”
He added, “And we will put an end to our military cooperation with the Niger authorities.” He said the troops would be gradually pulled out, likely by the end of the year.
He noted that France’s military presence in Niger was in response to a request from Niger’s government at the time.
The military cooperation between France and Niger had been suspended since the coup. The junta leaders claimed that Bazoum’s government wasn’t doing enough to protect the country from the insurgency.
The junta in August gave French Ambassador Sylvain Itte 48 hours to leave. After the deadline expired without France recalling him, the coup leaders then revoked his diplomatic immunity.
The junta is now under sanctions by Western and regional African powers.
In New York on Friday, the military government that seized power in Niger accused U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres of “obstructing” the West African nation’s full participation at the U.N.’s annual meeting of world leaders in order to appease France and its allies.
veryGood! (352)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Man pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter in death of fiancee who went missing
- Elizabeth Smart Reveals How She Manages Her Worries About Her Own Kids' Safety
- Do we really need $1M in retirement savings? Not even close, one top economist says
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Nick Cannon Shares the Worst Father's Day Present He Ever Got & Tips to Step Up Your Gift Giving
- The Valley Star Jesse Lally Claims He Hooked Up With Anna Nicole Smith
- Ariana Grande drops star-studded 'The Boy is Mine' video with Penn Badgley, Brandy and Monica
- Small twin
- Drive-through wildlife center where giraffe grabbed toddler is changing rules after viral incident
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- California woman found dead in 2023 confirmed as state's first fatal black bear attack
- Might we soon understand sperm whale speak? | The Excerpt
- Gay man says Qatar authorities lured him via dating app, planted drugs and subjected him to unfair trial
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- John Stamos talks rocking through Beach Boys stage fails, showtime hair, Bob Saget lessons
- Soda company recalls drinks sold at restaurants for chemicals, dye linked to cancer: FDA
- Kristaps Porzingis' instant impact off bench in NBA Finals Game 1 exactly what Celtics needed
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
State rejects health insurers’ pleas to halt plan that will shake up coverage for 1.8 million Texans
Ariana Grande drops star-studded 'The Boy is Mine' video with Penn Badgley, Brandy and Monica
Shooting near a Los Angeles college kills 1 and wounds 4, police say
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Ariana Grande drops star-studded 'The Boy is Mine' video with Penn Badgley, Brandy and Monica
Nick Cannon Has His Balls Insured for $10 Million After Welcoming 12 Kids
How this Maryland pastor ended up leading one of the fastest-growing churches in the nation