Current:Home > ScamsThirteen men plead not guilty for role in Brooklyn synagogue tunnel scuffle -Capitatum
Thirteen men plead not guilty for role in Brooklyn synagogue tunnel scuffle
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 08:01:34
NEW YORK (AP) — Thirteen members of the Hasidic Jewish community pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges stemming from their alleged role in a dispute over an illegal tunnel built beneath a historic Brooklyn synagogue.
The defendants, many of them international students from Israel, appeared in Brooklyn court Wednesday on charges of reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and obstruction of governmental administration. They were issued a limited protection order that bars them from making any excavations or alterations to the building. They also cannot be in contact with a local rabbi.
Prosecutors say the defendants — who ranged in age from 19 to 26 — were involved in a Jan. 8 melee in the basement of the global headquarters of Chabad-Lubavitch, a movement of Orthodox Judaism. The dispute erupted after the discovery of an underground passage connecting four buildings within the famed Jewish complex.
Proponents of the tunnel said they were carrying out the wishes of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the former Chabad leader and one of Judaism’s most influential leaders, who spoke of expanding the densely-backed worship space before his death in 1994. Some members of the Chabad community believe Schneerson is still alive and that he is the messiah.
When Chabad leaders moved to seal the tunnel, characterizing it as a rogue act of vandalism, a group of young men fought back, ripping the wooden siding off the synagogue and refusing to leave the dusty passage. Their protest escalated as police arrived, leading to a chaotic scuffle and more than $1,500 in property damage, according to court papers.
None of the men who were charged in the brawl were accused of digging the passage, which authorities described as a linear tunnel that was 60 foot (18.3 meters) long and 8 foot (2.4 meters) wide. In addition to the 13 people who pleaded not guilty on Wednesday, four others are expected to face charges when they return from Israel in the coming weeks.
An investigation by the Department of Buildings found the tunnel, which has since been filled with concrete, compromised the stability of several structures surrounding the religious complex, leading to vacate orders at four buildings.
A two-story building adjacent to the synagogue remains subject to a vacate order due to the removal of fire separating materials, according to a spokesperson for the buildings department.
An attorney for the defendants, Levi Huebner, did not respond to a request for comment Thursday. He previously said his clients were suffering from “a combination of a little naivety and misintended good thoughts.”
Rabbi Motti Seligson, a spokesperson for the Chabad-Lubavitch movement, said in a text message: “We pray that they see the error of their ways and atone for the harm that they have caused.”
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- China welcomes Arab and Muslim foreign ministers for talks on ending the war in Gaza
- Taiwan presidential frontrunner picks former de-facto ambassador to U.S. as vice president candidate
- Shakira reaches a deal with Spanish prosecutors on the first day of tax fraud trial
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- A Montana farmer with a flattop and ample lobbyist cash stands between GOP and Senate control
- French performers lead a silent Paris march for peace between Israelis and Palestinians
- Israel says second hostage Noa Marciano found dead near Gaza's Al-Shifa Hospital
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- A$AP Rocky will soon learn if he’s going to trial for charges of shooting at former friend
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Ohio State moves up to No. 2 ahead of Michigan in the latest US LBM Coaches Poll
- Colorado to release gray wolves: Here's when, where and why.
- More than 400,000 Afghans have returned home from Pakistan following crackdown on migrants
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 5 workers killed, 3 injured in central Mexico after 50-foot tall scaffolding tower collapse
- Justin Fields runs for 104 yards and passes for 169 in his return. Bears lose to Lions 31-26
- Najee Harris 'tired' of Steelers' poor performances in 2023 season after loss to Browns
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
US Defense Secretary Austin makes unannounced visit to Ukraine
Catholic priest sentenced to life for sex trafficking boys, manipulating opioid addictions
Honda recalls nearly 250,000 cars, SUVs and pickup trucks
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Billboard Music Awards 2023: Complete Winners List
Jason Momoa makes waves as 'SNL' host, tells Dasani to 'suck it' during opening monologue
Tributes for Rosalynn Carter pour in from Washington, D.C., and around the country