Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Johnson & Johnson sued by cancer victims alleging 'fraudulent' transfers, bankruptcies -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Johnson & Johnson sued by cancer victims alleging 'fraudulent' transfers, bankruptcies
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 08:12:53
- Cancer victims sued Johnson & Johnson claiming the healthcare company executed a scheme to prevent victims from receiving their day in court.
- The Rekubit Exchangesuit stems from Johnson & Johnson's filing for bankruptcy multiple times to resolve tens of thousands of lawsuits.
- Johnson & Johnson says the suit is frivolous and that it has offered one of the largest resolutions in the history of mass tort litigation.
Cancer victims sued Johnson & Johnson claiming the healthcare company "executed a scheme through a series of corporate transactions" to prevent victims of its "asbestos-contaminated" talcum powder from receiving their day in court and proper compensation.
The five individuals who filed the proposed class action suit Wednesday in New Jersey federal court seek to represent anyone who, as of Aug. 11, 2023, either had pending litigation alleging asbestos or other ingredients in Johnson & Johnson talcum powder products caused them to develop ovarian cancer or mesothelioma.
The suit stems from Johnson & Johnson's filing for bankruptcy multiple times, and in different states, to resolve tens of thousands of lawsuits claiming the company's talcum baby powder caused cancer. Earlier this month, Johnson & Johnson announced that a third bankruptcy filing of a subsidiary company would allow it to move forward with a $6.475 billion proposed settlement for the victims, Reuters reported.
A three-month voting period is underway to reach a consensus settlement for current and future victims who claim the baby powder caused ovarian cancer, which accounts for 99% of talcum-related suits against Johnson & Johnson, according to Reuters. People with talcum-related claims are the ones voting in support or against the settlement, the outlet said.
“This latest filing – signed again by the same small group of plaintiffs lawyers who have fought every single effort to resolve this litigation to date – is more of the same," Erik Haas, worldwide vice president of litigation for Johnson & Johnson, told USA TODAY in a statement. "The question remains: Why won’t they let claimants decide for themselves what is or is not in their own best interest? Why are they so desperate to stop the vote?
The complaint calls Johnson & Johnson's third bankruptcy filing an "unfulfilled scheme."
Lawsuit:Dollar Tree sued by Houston woman who was sexually assaulted in a store
How did Johnson & Johnson execute the alleged scheme?
The suit says Johnson & Johnson used a "Texas two-step" maneuver to commit fraud and stop victims' lawsuits. The tactic involved the company putting its talcum liabilities and other valuable assets into a new subsidiary only to file for bankruptcy two days later in 2021, according to the complaint.
The bankruptcy stopped suits from moving ahead against Johnson and Johnson, although the company did not file for bankruptcy itself, Reuters reported. Courts did ultimately rule that Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiary were not struggling financially, therefore they were not eligible for bankruptcy, according to the outlet.
Two other tactics allegedly used by Johnson & Johnson are called "asset stripping fraud” and "bait-and-switch fraud," the suit says. Both methods involved the company dumping or cutting funds and assets, the complaint continued.
All three "connected fraudulent transfers" aimed to achieve the same goal of "hindering and delaying tort victims from recovery against (Johnson & Johnson) and its operating subsidiaries," the complaint says.
'Make no mistake, the facts are clear'
Regardless of the recent suit's allegations, Johnson & Johnson's focus remains to settle the suits brought against its company.
"Make no mistake, the facts are clear," Haas said in his statement to USA TODAY. "The Company has offered one of the largest resolutions in the history of mass tort litigation. It has prevailed in 16 of 17 ovarian cancer trials, including every ovarian trial for the past six years."
The company has reached separate settlements with law firms repping mesothelioma patients and with U.S. states who accused the company of failing to warn consumers about how dangerous its talcum products could be, Reuters reported. In a recent trial, a judge ordered Johnson and Johnson to pay $45 million in a mesothelioma case while winning an ovarian cancer case, according to the outlet.
"Our focus has been and will remain reaching a full, fair and final resolution of this litigation, and allowing the claimants to speak for themselves," Haas said. "We will immediately move to dismiss this latest ‘hail Mary’ frivolous filing.”
veryGood! (29)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Environmentalists Praise the EPA’s Move to Restrict ‘Forever Chemicals’ in Water and Wonder, What’s Next?
- RHOBH's Garcelle Beauvais Shares Update on Kyle Richards Amid Divorce Rumors
- The ‘Plant Daddy of Dallas’ Is Paving the Way for Clean, Profitable Urban Agriculture
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Summer School 2: Competition and the cheaper sneaker
- 2022 Will Be Remembered as the Year the U.S. Became the World’s Largest Exporter of Liquified Natural Gas
- A Hospital Ward for Starving Children in Kenya Has Seen a Surge in Cases This Year
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Russia's nixing of Ukraine grain deal deepens worries about global food supply
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Cory Wharton's Baby Girl Struggles to Breathe in Gut-Wrenching Teen Mom Preview
- Reese Witherspoon Addresses Speculation About Her Divorce From Jim Toth
- A mom owed nearly $102,000 for her son's stay in a state mental health hospital
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- This cellular atlas could lead to breakthroughs for endometriosis patients
- Microplastics Pervade Even Top-Quality Streams in Pennsylvania, Study Finds
- Amid a record heat wave, Texas construction workers lose their right to rest breaks
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Mosquitoes spread malaria. These researchers want them to fight it instead
The ‘Power of Aridity’ is Bringing a Colorado River Dam to its Knees
At the UN Water Conference, Running to Keep Up with an Ambitious 2030 Goal for Universal Water Rights
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
EPA Paused Waste Shipments From Ohio Train Derailment After Texas Uproar
In-N-Out Burger bans employees in 5 states from wearing masks
Maryland, Virginia Race to Save Dwindling Commercial Fisheries in the Chesapeake Bay