Current:Home > MyOfficials identify two workers — one killed, one still missing — after Kentucky coal plant collapse -Capitatum
Officials identify two workers — one killed, one still missing — after Kentucky coal plant collapse
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-05 22:22:23
Officials have released the names of two workers trapped when a coal mine preparation plant collapsed earlier this week in eastern Kentucky.
Martin County Judge Executive Lon Lafferty identified the men as Billy Ray Daniels and Alvin Nees, news outlets report. Daniels died amid rescue efforts at the scene and Nees is believed to be trapped beneath the rubble. The men from neighboring Pike County were doing contracting work as part of the building’s demolition.
Lafferty said Thursday that the search for Nees is still a rescue operation.
Crews have begun removing layers of rubble and debris at the Martin Mine Prep Plant in Martin County where an 11-story abandoned building crashed down Tuesday night while undergoing work toward its demolition. Officials briefly made contact with Daniels, but announced Wednesday he died amid rescue efforts. Authorities said Thursday they have not had any communication with the second worker since the building collapsed at around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Inez, a town of about 500 people.
“We haven’t given up hope,” Lafferty said at a news conference with reporters Thursday.
Lafferty said a family member of the deceased man was at the site before he died and was able to speak with him. Crews have located his remains, but have not yet been able to remove them.
Crews delved under layers of steel and concrete with search dogs and listening devices Wednesday and Thursday, a line of emergency vehicles surrounding the wreckage of the once 11-story building, now flattened onto itself. In the second full day of rescue efforts, officials are removing the debris into smaller piles for the search, Lafferty said.
Several state agencies have begun investigations into the collapse and possible causes, including Kentucky state police.
The Kentucky Division of Occupational Safety and Health Compliance said one of its officers was on site and that an inspection had been opened with Lexington Coal Company LLC, which had contracted with Skeens Enterprises LLC for site demolition and salvage operations. The division said the investigation could take up to six months to complete.
veryGood! (94)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Poland set to get more than 5 billion euros in EU money after commission approves recovery plan
- J Balvin Reveals What Happened at Dinner With Britney Spears
- Dabo Swinney shares feelings about Donald Trump attending Clemson-South Carolina game
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- UnitedHealth uses faulty AI to deny elderly patients medically necessary coverage, lawsuit claims
- Abortion access protection, assault weapons ban to be heard in Virginia’s 2024 legislative session
- Is the stock market open on Thanksgiving and Black Friday? Here's what to know
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- As 2023 draws to close, Biden’s promised visit to Africa shows no signs of happening yet
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Making the Most Out of Friendsgiving
- Black Friday deals start early and seem endless. Are there actually any good deals?
- NFL’s look changing as more women move into prominent roles at teams across league
- Trump's 'stop
- Kentucky cut off her Medicaid over a clerical error — just days before her surgery
- Israel recalls ambassador ahead of South African parliamentary vote to shut down Israeli embassy
- 'Repulsive and disgusting': Wisconsin officials condemn neo-Nazi group after march in Madison
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
What's a DINK? Childless couples in US could soon hit 50% and these states rank high for them
Rosalynn Carter made a wrongfully convicted felon a White House nanny and helped win her pardon
Suspect fires at Southern California deputies and is fatally shot as home burns, authorities say
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
She was elated about her pregnancy. Then came a $2,400 bill for blood tests
David Letterman returns to 'The Late Show,' talks show differences with Stephen Colbert
The Rolling Stones are going back on tour: How to get tickets to the 16 stadium dates