Current:Home > FinanceFrench justice minister is on trial accused of conflict of interest -Capitatum
French justice minister is on trial accused of conflict of interest
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 01:15:08
PARIS (AP) — France’s justice minister goes on trial Monday on charges of using his office to settle personal scores, in an unprecedented case that has raised concern about checks and balances in French democracy.
Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti’s refusal to resign, or at least to step aside from his role overseeing France’s justice system during the trial, has drawn wide criticism.
Once a high-profile lawyer, Dupond-Moretti is accused of abusing his position as justice minister to order probes targeting magistrates who investigated him, his friends or his former clients.
He denies wrongdoing. He faces up to five years in prison and half a million euros in fines if convicted on charges of illegal conflict of interest.
The trial marks the first time in modern France that a government minister has been put on trial while still in office, according to legal historians. Until now, it was seen as an unwritten rule that ministers resigned if they were put under investigation.
Dupond-Moretti was appointed justice minister by President Emmanuel Macron in 2020 and has said he will remain in office through the trial, which is due to end on Nov. 17. Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne reiterated her support for Dupond-Moretti on Monday before the trial opened.
He is going on trial in a special court for alleged wrongdoing by the government, the Court of Justice of the Republic. He will face three professional magistrates accompanied by 12 members of parliament, six from the lower house and six from the Senate, who will issue a ruling. A majority of eight votes is required to decide on guilt and sentence.
’’This situation is unprecedented: A justice minister in office is judged by the Court of Justice of the Republic for infractions committed while he carries out his job,” magistrates’ unions said in a statement ahead of the trial.
’’Our organizations consider that this situation damages the credibility of the justice minister, and by ricochet, weakens the entire justice system,” it said.
Dupond-Moretti is considered one of France’s leading criminal lawyers, and is nicknamed the “acquittor” for his record 145 acquittals. Over the past 10 years, he had been increasingly involved in political cases, and his relations with certain magistrates had soured.
Soon after he was named minister, he opened administrative investigations against magistrates in charge of proceedings that had directly concerned him: three magistrates from the national financial prosecutor’s office and a former investigating judge in Monaco.
The investigations found no wrongdoing by the four magistrates.
Magistrates’ unions filed a legal complaint against Dupond-Moretti, saying the investigations were unfounded and an effort to use his role as minister to settle personal scores. The trial focuses on those investigations.
The minister has always maintained that he wanted to avoid any conflict of interest. On his appointment, he signed a document declaring he would defend “integrity and morality” like all other ministers.
Interviewed on public radio last month, Dupond-Moretti said his ministry would not be “abandoned” during the trial. “The ministry will continue to function, that’s my only concern,’' he said.
Dupond-Moretti is viewed as among the left-leaning members of Macron’s government, but critics from left and right have questioned why he didn’t step aside during the trial.
Some politicians also argue that serving government ministers should be tried in traditional courts, where civil parties can also take part, instead of a special court with its own special rules.
veryGood! (72553)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Wildfire risk rises as Western states dry out amid ongoing heat wave baking most of the US
- Convert to a Roth IRA or not? It's an important retirement question facing Gen X.
- Despite problems, Boeing Starliner crew confident spacecraft will bring them safely back to Earth
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Wheel of (shrinking) fortune: How game-show prizes have lagged behind inflation
- Lawsuit filed in case of teen who died after eating spicy chip as part of online challenge
- Bill would ban sale of reproductive and gender affirming care locations gathered from cellphones
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Hakeem Jeffries to bring Democrats' concerns to Biden about his campaign
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Big Lots to close 35 to 40 stores this year amid 'doubt' the company can survive
- Sequel to Kevin Costner-led 'Horizon: An American Saga' has been canceled: Reports
- ABTCOIN Trading Center: Market Impact of BTC Spot ETFs
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- JFK's only grandson is doing political coverage for this outlet. It's not a surprise
- Travis Kelce Reveals Eye-Popping Price of Taylor Swift Super Bowl Suite
- Kyle Richards Shares a Hack for Doing Her Own Makeup on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Cast Trips
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Kevin Hart sued by former friend after sex tape scandal
Pete Davidson and Madelyn Cline Break Up After Less Than a Year of Dating
The request for federal aid after Beryl opens rift between White House and Texas
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Man caught smuggling 100 live snakes in his pants, Chinese officials say
Bill would ban sale of reproductive and gender affirming care locations gathered from cellphones
Gun and ammunition evidence is the focus as Alec Baldwin trial starts second day