Current:Home > 新闻中心TradeEdge-Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -Capitatum
TradeEdge-Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:19:45
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on TradeEdgeDec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score Sunday? Fever rookie shutdown in blowout loss
- Shiloh Jolie-Pitt wants to drop dad Brad Pitt's last name per legal request, reports state
- Gabby Douglas says this is 'not the end' of gymnastics story, thanks fans for support
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- ‘Garfield,’ ‘Furiosa’ repeat atop box office charts as slow summer grinds on
- Man gets 43-year prison sentence in death of Detroit-area teen whose body is lost in landfill
- Caitlin Clark back in action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. New York Liberty on Sunday
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Ex-NJ officer sentenced to 27 years in shooting death of driver, wounding of passenger in 2019 chase
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Shooting in Ohio kills 1, wounds 2 dozen others, police say
- Caitlin Clark's impact? Fever surpass 2023 home attendance mark after only five games
- Inside the Eternally Wild Story of the Ashley Madison Hacking Scandal
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Unprecedented ocean temperatures make this hurricane season especially dangerous
- Stock splits: The strange exception where a lower stock price can be better for investors
- 1 family hopes new law to protect children online prevents tragedies like theirs
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
An African American holiday predating Juneteenth was nearly lost to history. It's back.
A new American Dream? With home prices out of reach, 'build-to-rent' communities take off
Caitlin Clark back in action: How to watch Indiana Fever vs. New York Liberty on Sunday
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Fans step in as golfer C.T. Pan goes through four caddies in final round of Canadian Open
South Korea says North Korea is sending even more balloons carrying garbage across border
Wisconsin prison warden quits amid lockdown, federal smuggling investigation