Current:Home > ContactSabotage damages monument to frontiersman ‘Kit’ Carson, who led campaigns against Native Americans -Capitatum
Sabotage damages monument to frontiersman ‘Kit’ Carson, who led campaigns against Native Americans
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 19:40:49
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Police in New Mexico’s capital city on Friday were investigating the partial destruction of a public monument to a 19th century frontiersman and U.S. soldier who had a leading role in the death of hundreds of Native Americans during the settlement of the American West.
The monument to Christopher “Kit” Carson has been encircled by a plywood barrier for its own protection since 2020, when Santa Fe was swept by the movement to remove depictions of historical figures who mistreated Native Americans amid a national reckoning over racial injustice.
The monument’s upper spire was toppled Thursday evening. Photos of the aftermath showed an abandoned pickup truck and cable that may have been used to inflict damage. Last year, the monument was splattered with red paint by activists on Indigenous Peoples’ Day.
Santa Fe Mayor Alan Webber issued a statement that described the latest damage as a “cowardly act.”
“I want those who did this to be caught and held accountable,” the second-term Democratic mayor said. “There is no place for this kind of criminal conduct in our community. We should all condemn it.”
The U.S. attorney’s office confirmed federal jurisdiction over the monument outside a U.S. courthouse in downtown Santa Fe. The U.S. Marshals Service, which protects federal courts, could not immediately be reached.
Webber has attempted to diffuse the conflicts over several historical markers linked to Spanish colonialism and Anglo-American settlers, with mixed results. Last year, New Mexico’s governor voided pre-statehood orders that had targeting Native Americans, saying rescinding the territorial-era proclamations would help heal old wounds.
Activists in 2020 toppled a monument on Santa Fe’s central square to U.S. soldiers who fought not only for the Union in the Civil War but also in armed campaigns against Native Americans, described as “savage” in engraved letters that were chiseled from the landmark decades ago.
The city council in March abandoned a proposal to rebuild the plaza monument with new plaques amid a whirlwind of concerns.
Carson carried out military orders to force the surrender of the Navajo people by destroying crops, livestock and homes. Many Navajos died during a forced relocation known as the Long Walk, starting in 1863, and during a yearslong detention in eastern New Mexico.
The signing of the Navajo Treaty of 1868 signaled an end to the chapter, allowing the Navajos to return home to an area that has since become the United States’ largest Native American reservation by territory and population.
Carson’s life as a fur trapper, scout and courier was chronicled in dime novels and newspapers accounts that made him a legend in his own time. He was buried in Taos after his death in 1868.
veryGood! (5912)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Prince William says 'optimism' and 'hope' is key to climate reform during Earthshot Prize in NYC
- Trump launches his fall push in Iowa to lock in his lead before the first Republican caucuses
- 2 accused of hanging an antisemitic banners on a Florida highway overpass surrender to face charges
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- QDOBA will serve larger free 3-Cheese Queso sides in honor of National Queso Day
- Ukraine, Russia and the tense U.N. encounter that almost happened — but didn’t
- Man formerly on death row gets murder case dismissed after 48 years
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Democrats want federal voting rights bill ahead of 2024 elections
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- $100M men Kane and Bellingham give good value to Bayern and Madrid in Champions League debut wins
- Speaker McCarthy says there’s still time to prevent a government shutdown as others look at options
- Oklahoma state police trooper fatally shot a truck driver during a traffic stop
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Guatemalans rally on behalf of president-elect, demonstrating a will to defend democracy
- Dutch photographer Erwin Olaf has died at 64. He shot themes from gay nightlife to the royal family
- After leaving bipartisan voting information group, Virginia announces new data-sharing agreements
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Why Jon Bon Jovi Won’t Be Performing at His Son Jake’s Wedding to Millie Bobby Brown
Catch some ZZZs: How long does melatonin last? Here's what you should know.
Chinese officials voice faith in economy and keep interest rates steady as forecasts darken
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Google sued for negligence after man drove off collapsed bridge while following map directions
Deion Sanders condemns death threats directed at Colorado State's Henry Blackburn
UK leader Rishi Sunak signals plan to backtrack on some climate goals