Current:Home > InvestU.S. and U.K. conduct fourth round of joint airstrikes on Houthi targets in Yemen -Capitatum
U.S. and U.K. conduct fourth round of joint airstrikes on Houthi targets in Yemen
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:33:35
The U.S. and U.K together launched "more than a dozen" airstrikes against Houthi targets in Yemen Saturday, two U.S. officials confirmed to CBS News. This is the fourth round of joint coalition strikes since Jan. 11 to pressure the Houthis to stop attacking commercial shipping lanes in the Red Sea.
The strikes hit 18 Houthi targets across eight locations in Yemen, according to a joint statement released by a coalition of nations involved in Saturday's actions — which included the militaries of Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Denmark, the Netherlands and New Zealand.
The strikes targeted "Houthi underground weapons storage facilities, missile storage facilities, one-way attack unmanned aerial systems, air defense systems, radars, and a helicopter," the statement read.
In the past few weeks, the U.S. has also taken more than 30 self-defense strikes against Houthi weapons that were "prepared to launch" to conduct attacks on commercial or U.S. Navy ships, according to U.S. Central Command.
"The United States will not hesitate to take action, as needed, to defend lives and the free flow of commerce in one of the world's most critical waterways," Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said in a separate statement Saturday. "We will continue to make clear to the Houthis that they will bear the consequences if they do not stop their illegal attacks, which harm Middle Eastern economies, cause environmental damage, and disrupt the delivery of humanitarian aid to Yemen and other countries."
Despite the barrage of strikes, the Houthis have continued to launch missiles and drones at ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden. As of this week, U.S. defense officials said there had been at least 60 Houthi attacks since November 19.
"We never said that we were taking every single capability that the Houthis have off the map, but every single day that we conduct a strike, we are degrading them further," Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Sabrina Singh said on Tuesday.
"And so I think the [Defense] Secretary has confidence that the more we continue to do this, the Houthis are going to – they are already seeing the effects," Singh said.
The Houthis have linked their attacks to the war between Israel and Hamas, pledging to keep targeting ships aiding Israel's war, but U.S. officials say that many of the ships the Houthis have targeted have no connection to Israel or the conflict in Gaza.
"The Houthis' now more than 45 attacks on commercial and naval vessels since mid-November constitute a threat to the global economy, as well as regional security and stability, and demand an international response," Saturday's joint statement read. "Our coalition of likeminded countries remains committed to protecting freedom of navigation and international commerce and holding the Houthis accountable for their illegal and unjustifiable attacks on commercial shipping and naval vessels."
- In:
- Pentagon
- Houthi Movement
- Yemen
- Missile Launch
- United Kingdom
Eleanor Watson is a CBS News reporter covering the Pentagon.
TwitterveryGood! (6347)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- A New, Massive Plastics Plant in Southwest Pennsylvania Barely Registers Among Voters
- Slim majority wants debt ceiling raised without spending cuts, poll finds
- With Epic Flooding in Eastern Kentucky, the State’s Governor Wants to Know ‘Why We Keep Getting Hit’
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Four States Just Got a ‘Trifecta’ of Democratic Control, Paving the Way for Climate and Clean Energy Legislation
- Warming Trends: Bill Nye’s New Focus on Climate Change, Bottled Water as a Social Lens and the Coming End of Blacktop
- In a historic step, strippers at an LA bar unionize
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- It’s Happened Before: Paleoclimate Study Shows Warming Oceans Could Lead to a Spike in Seabed Methane Emissions
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- You Won't Believe How Much Gymnast Olivia Dunne Got Paid for One Social Media Post
- Inside Clean Energy: In the New World of Long-Duration Battery Storage, an Old Technology Holds Its Own
- As EPA’s Region 3 Administrator, Adam Ortiz Wants the Mid-Atlantic States to Become Climate-Conscious and Resilient
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- In Atlanta, Work on a New EPA Superfund Site Leaves Black Neighborhoods Wary, Fearing Gentrification
- Shifting Sands: Carolina’s Outer Banks Face a Precarious Future
- Kate Middleton's Brother James Middleton Expecting First Baby With Alizee Thevenet
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Biden Administration Opens New Public Lands and Waters to Fossil Fuel Drilling, Disappointing Environmentalists
A New GOP Climate Plan Is Long on Fossil Fuels, Short on Specifics
Target is recalling nearly 5 million candles that can cause burns and lacerations
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Maryland Department of the Environment Says It Needs More Staff to Do What the Law Requires
Olivia Culpo Shares Glimpse Inside Her and Fiancé Christian McCaffrey's Engagement Party
Lululemon’s Olympic Challenge to Reduce Its Emissions