Current:Home > NewsOnline news site The Messenger shuts down after less than a year -Capitatum
Online news site The Messenger shuts down after less than a year
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-05 22:09:30
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — The Messenger, an ambitious online news site that billed itself as a nonpartisan digital outlet and spent some $50 million ratcheting up its business effort, abruptly shut down Wednesday after only eight months in operation.
Founder Jimmy Finkelstein sent an email to stunned employees announcing the immediate shutdown, with some 300 journalists and other workers being let go, according to the The New York Times, which first reported the news.
In his email, Finkelstein said he hadn’t shared the news with employees earlier because he had been trying desperately to raise enough funds to become profitable “literally until earlier today.”
“We exhausted every option available,” Finkelstein wrote, saying he was “personally devastated.”
The Messenger website carried only its name and an email address Wednesday night.
Finkelstein noted in his email that “economic headwinds have left many media companies fighting for survival.”
Indeed, The Messenger’s collapse follows large-scale layoffs by once-powerful and influential outlets, including the Los Angeles Times, which cut its newsroom staff by 20% last week, as well as Sports Illustrated and Business Insider. Planned cuts also have sparked walkouts by employees at other venues, including the New York Daily News and Forbes magazine.
The Messenger was launched last May and spent heavily — some would say excessively, given the current media climate — in hopes of becoming a media heavyweight.
The company hired experienced journalists from major organizations, including The Associated Press, entered into multimillion-dollar office leases in New York, Washington D.C. and Florida, and ambitiously aimed to draw enough web traffic to reach a monthly audience of 100 million readers.
At its best, the outlet garnered only a quarter of that figure. It never turned a profit, and it burned through its cash as its ad revenues slumped.
Critics said Finkelstein was relying on an outdated business model that relied on social media distribution and searches to attract eyeballs.
BuzzFeed News, a Pulitzer Prize-winning online news outlet, was a previous victim. CEO Jonah Peretti announced last April that the outlet was shutting down after failing to turn a profit, saying that he’d been slow to accept that “the big platforms wouldn’t provide the distribution or financial support required to support premium, free journalism purpose-built for social media.”
veryGood! (912)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Fake online reviews and testimonials are a headache for small businesses. They hope the FTC can help
- Does American tennis have a pickleball problem? Upstart’s boom looms out of view at the US Open
- Army private who fled to North Korea will plead guilty to desertion
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- These Are the Trendy Fall Denim Styles That Made Me Finally Ditch My Millennial Skinny Jeans
- Colorado GOP chair ousted in a contentious vote that he dismisses as a ‘sham’
- 23 more Red Lobster restaurants close: See the full list of 129 shuttered locations
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Army private who fled to North Korea will plead guilty to desertion
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Chiefs bringing JuJu Smith-Schuster back to loaded WR room – but why?
- Channing Tatum Reveals Jaw-Dropping Way He Avoided Doing Laundry for a Year
- Hailey Bieber Shares Glimpse Into New Chapter After Giving Birth to Her and Justin Bieber’s Son Jack
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- The price of happiness? $200,000, according to one recent survey
- Michigan golf club repays pandemic loan after lawsuit challenges eligibility
- What Not to Wear’s Stacy London and Clinton Kelly Team Up for New Show After Ending Years-Long Feud
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Former North Dakota federal prosecutor who handled Peltier, Medina shootout cases dies
Pennsylvania museum to sell painting in settlement with heirs of Jewish family that fled the Nazis
Mississippi seafood distributor pleads guilty to decadeslong fish mislabeling scheme
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Republicans want voters to think Tim Walz lied about his dog. Such claims could cause real damage
Connor Stalions on 'Sign Stealer': Everything former Michigan staffer said in Netflix doc
What Brittany Cartwright Is Seeking in Jax Taylor Divorce