Current:Home > FinanceCharles Barkley open to joining ESPN, NBC and Amazon if TNT doesn't honor deal -Capitatum
Charles Barkley open to joining ESPN, NBC and Amazon if TNT doesn't honor deal
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-05 14:46:22
Even though TNT is set to lose its NBA media rights after next season, there is a chance Charles Barkley could still be talking ball on TV.
The Basketball Hall of Famer and iconic "Inside the NBA" voice told The Athletic on Friday he will either remain with TNT Sports or listen to offers from ESPN, NBC and Amazon Prime Video for when the new media rights deal kicks in for the 2025-26 season. Barkley is in the third year of a 10-year, $210 million contract with TNT Sports.
“Turner has to come to me ASAP and they have to guarantee my whole thing or they can offer me a pay cut, which there is no chance of that happening and I’ll be (a) free agent," he told the outlet. "My thing was, ‘Wait, y’all (expletive) up, I didn’t (expletive) up, why do I have to take a pay cut?"
Barkley's comments are a change of direction from what he said when reports began to surface about TNT losing its NBA media rights. During the 2024 NBA Finals, he said regardless of how the media rights deal played out, the 2024-25 season would be his last on-air.
"No matter what happens, next year is going to be my last year on television," he said. "And I just want to say thank you to my NBA family. You guys have been great to me. My heart is full with joy and gratitude."
Barkley told The Athletic the possibility of retiring from TV remains a possibility, but he is keeping his ears open on any offers he gets. He mentioned ESPN, NBC and Amazon have all been in contact with him, and he would prefer to have the rest of his "Inside the NBA" crew − Ernie Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal and Kenny Smith − still with him.
TNT Sports announced Friday it has taken legal action against the NBA for it being left out of the media rights deal. TNT Sports was given a chance to match Amazon's offer in the deal, which it did, but the network said the NBA "grossly misinterpreted our contractual rights" in the negotiation process. Barkley had a similar sentiment on social media, calling out the league.
"Clearly, the NBA has wanted to break up with us from the beginning," Barkley wrote. "I'm not sure TNT ever had a chance. TNT matched the money. The league knows Amazon and these tech companies are the only ones willing to pay for the rights when they double in the future. The NBA didn't want to piss them off.
"It's a sad day when owners and commissioners choose money over the fans. It just sucks," he added.
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
veryGood! (75)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- NFL winners, losers of Saturday Week 18: Steelers could sneak into playoffs at last minute
- Things to know about a school shooting in the small Iowa town of Perry
- Ashli Babbitt's family files $30 million lawsuit over Jan. 6 shooting death
- Small twin
- Halle Bailey and DDG's Baby Boy Makes His Music Video Debut
- Prominent Black church in New York sued for gender bias by woman who sought to be its senior pastor
- Erdogan names candidates for March election. Former minister to challenge opposition Istanbul mayor
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Sister Wives' Christine Brown Reveals the Exact Moment She Knew David Woolley Was Her Soulmate
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Russian shelling kills 11 in Donetsk region while Ukraine claims it hit a Crimean air base
- Attorney calls for suspension of Olympic skater being investigated for alleged sexual assault
- FAA orders grounding of certain Boeing 737 Max 9 planes after Alaska Airlines incident
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Massive California wave kills Georgia woman visiting beach with family
- Blackhawks' Connor Bedard knocked out of game after monster hit by Devils' Brendan Smith
- Boeing faces new questions about the 737 Max after a plane suffers a gaping hole in its side
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Blinken opens latest urgent Mideast tour in Turkey as fears grow that Gaza war may engulf region
NFL Week 18 playoff clinching scenarios: Four division titles still to be won
Steelers top Lamar-less Ravens 17-10, will make the playoffs if Buffalo or Jacksonville lose
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
How the Dire Health Implications of Climate Change Are Unfolding Globally
Witty and fun, Kathy Swarts of 'Zip it' fame steals show during The Golden Wedding
Mexico authorities rescue 32 migrants, including 9 kids, abducted on way to U.S. border