Current:Home > NewsMaryland OKs $50.3M contract for removal of bridge collapse debris -Capitatum
Maryland OKs $50.3M contract for removal of bridge collapse debris
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 01:06:07
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — A Maryland board led by Gov. Wes Moore approved a $50.3 million emergency contract on Wednesday to pay a Swedish construction company that removed debris from the March collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge.
While the work to remove debris from the federal channel in the Patapsco River was done by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Maryland entered into the emergency contract with Skanska USA Civil Southeast Inc. in April to remove debris from other channels that could then be used by salvage and commercial vessels after the collapse.
Skanska was chosen because it had successfully demolished the existing Nice/Middleton Bridge across the Potomac River, according to state records. The company was considered qualified and equipped to perform similar operations that were needed expeditiously in the bridge collapse.
Marshall Brown, speaking on behalf of the Laborers-Employers Cooperation and Education Trust in the Mid-Atlantic Region, spoke against the contract at a Board of Public Works meeting on Wednesday. He said Maryland had had time to consider numerous available contractors that could have been mobilized to do the work. He said the emergency no-bid contract went against a state procurement process that is designed to be fair, competitive and transparent.
“This no-bid contract does not meet the standards,” Brown said. “For those reasons, we stand firmly against the approval of this contract.”
But Bruce Gartner, executive director of the Maryland Transportation Authority, said the state’s engineers used their best professional judgment in an emergency and chose a company that already was doing work in the state.
“They were somebody that was available in the proximity, and we had knowledge that they could follow state procurement law and be responsive to the situation at hand,” said Gartner, who noted that the bridge collapse was “one of the most significant emergencies we’ve ever had.”
Procuring the debris removal through competitive bidding would have delayed the removal by a minimum of eight months, according to board documents.
At the board meeting, Moore said much work remains to rebuild the bridge, which he described as crucial to Maryland’s and the national economy.
“We need to get it rebuilt,” Moore said. “The Port of Baltimore is an essential artery for economic flow, economic activity across the country, and to put it simply, our focus on getting this done is not about nostalgia, it’s about necessity.”
The governor, a Democrat, thanked President Joe Biden’s administration for including a 100% federal cost share for the rebuild in a supplemental budget to Congress last week. Moore said he has been working to build a bipartisan coalition for the rebuild.
Maryland has estimated the cost of a new bridge to be between $1.7 billion and $1.9 billion. The state plans to build a new span by the fall of 2028.
Shortly after leaving the Port of Baltimore early on March 26, the cardo ship Dali lost power and propulsion and crashed into one of the bridge’s supporting columns, causing its collapse and killing six construction workers.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Fewer U.S. grandparents are taking care of grandchildren, according to new data
- Netizens raise privacy concerns over Acra's Bizfile search function revealing citizens' IC numbers
- I loved to hate pop music, until Chappell Roan dragged me back
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- The burial site of the people Andrew Jackson enslaved was lost. The Hermitage says it is found
- Drew Barrymore has been warned to 'back off' her guests after 'touchy' interviews
- Supreme Court allows investors’ class action to proceed against microchip company Nvidia
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Albertsons gives up on Kroger merger and sues the grocery chain for failing to secure deal
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- China's ruling Communist Party expels former chief of sports body
- Albertsons gives up on Kroger merger and sues the grocery chain for failing to secure deal
- The Voice Season 26 Crowns a New Winner
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Turning dusty attic treasures into cash can yield millions for some and disappointment for others
- 'The Voice' Season 26 finale: Coach Michael Bublé scores victory with Sofronio Vasquez
- The Sundance Film Festival unveils its lineup including Jennifer Lopez, Questlove and more
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
The brewing recovery in Western North Carolina
A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
'Mary': How to stream, what biblical experts think about Netflix's new coming
Syrian rebel leader says he will dissolve toppled regime forces, close prisons
Sabrina Carpenter reveals her own hits made it on her personal Spotify Wrapped list