Current:Home > FinanceAssault claims roil Iditarod sled dog race as 2 top mushers are disqualified, then 1 reinstated -Capitatum
Assault claims roil Iditarod sled dog race as 2 top mushers are disqualified, then 1 reinstated
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:46:07
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Claims of violence against women are roiling the world’s most famous sled dog race — Alaska’s Iditarod — with officials disqualifying two top mushers this week and then quickly reinstating one of them on Friday, days before the start.
The upheaval began last week, when the Iditarod Trail Committee, the race’s governing body, sent an email to all competitors saying it had been informed of several accusations concerning violence against and abuse of women within the mushing community.
“The ITC Board cannot tolerate such conduct by anyone affiliated with the Iditarod,” the email said.
On Monday, the committee held an emergency meeting and disqualified the 2023 rookie of the year, Eddie Burke Jr. Burke had been facing single felony and misdemeanor assault charges after his then-girlfriend told police in May 2022 that he had strangled her to the point she almost lost consciousness, according to the Anchorage Daily News.
The committee offered no explanation of Burke’s disqualification beyond noting a rule that mushers “will be held to a high standard of personal and professional conduct.”
Two days later, the State of Alaska dismissed the charges because the former girlfriend declined to participate in the case, Alaska Department of Law spokesperson Patty Sullivan said Friday in an email to The Associated Press.
“After a thorough review of the evidence in this investigation, the Department of Law determined that it would be unable to prove the assault charges beyond a reasonable doubt to a trial jury,” she wrote.
On Friday, Burke was reinstated. He did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.
“Additional information was provided to the Iditarod Trail Committee Board today regarding Eddie Burke Jr.,” the committee said in a news release. “Upon reviewing this information, the Board voted to reinstate Mr. Burke as a competitor in the 2024 Iditarod.”
In the meantime, though, the committee on Thursday night disqualified 2022 champion Brent Sass — again, without offering any details about why. No criminal cases against Sass appear in online Alaska court records.
“I am beyond disappointed with the decision the Iditarod has reached to disqualify me,” said a statement posted Friday to the Facebook page of Sass’ kennel. “The anonymous accusations that have been made against me are completely false.”
It was not immediately clear what accusations Sass was referring to. But on Friday, an Anchorage attorney, Caitlin Shortell, issued a statement saying, “More than one Alaskan has sought legal advice and representation from our law firm based on their reports of sexual assault by a dog musher who was disqualified today by the Iditarod” — an apparent reference to Sass.
“Our clients retained counsel and sought to remain anonymous because of the high risk that disclosure of their identities and experiences would subject them to retraumatization, invasion of privacy, litigation, and potential violence by their assailant or others,” the statement says.
This year’s 1,000-mile (1,609-kilometer) race across the Alaska wilderness begins March 2 with the ceremonial start in Anchorage. The competitive start comes the next day, about 75 miles (121 kilometers) north of Anchorage.
Sass’ removal leaves 39 mushers remaining in this year’s field. Last year, 33 mushers started, the fewest since the Iditarod was first held in 1973.
It’s not the first time Sass has been disqualified from the Iditarod.
In 2015, he was removed from the race after officials found he had an iPod Touch with him on the trail, a violation of race rules barring two-way communication devices. Even though the iPod Touch was not a phone, he could have communicated with others when it connected to the Internet, officials said.
veryGood! (42432)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Central European interior ministers agree to step up fight against illegal migration at EU borders
- Delaware County’s top prosecutor becomes fifth Democrat to run for Pennsylvania attorney general
- Assailants in latest ship attack near Yemen were likely Somali, not Houthi rebels, Pentagon says
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Tatreez is a testament to the resilience and creativity of Palestinian women
- When foster care kids are sex trafficked, some states fail to figure it out
- Elon Musk visits Israel to meet top leaders as accusations of antisemitism on X grow
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Kevin 'Geordie' Walker, guitarist of English rock band Killing Joke, dies of stroke at 64
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Live updates | Israel and Hamas prepare for fourth swap as mediators seek to extend cease-fire
- Panthers coaching job profile: Both red flags and opportunity after Frank Reich firing
- Kenya raises alarm as flooding death toll rises to 76, with thousands marooned by worsening rains
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Is it better to take Social Security at 62 or 67? It depends.
- Georgia Senate Republicans propose map with 2 new Black-majority districts
- How the Roswell 'UFO' spurred our modern age of conspiracy theories
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Carolina Panthers fire coach Frank Reich after just 11 games
Bills players get into altercation with Eagles fans, LB Shaq Lawson appears to shove one
Puerto Rico opposition party will hold a gubernatorial primary after its president enters race
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
6 teenagers go on trial for their alleged role in the 2020 beheading of a French teacher
Teyana Taylor Addresses Quietly Filing for Divorce From Iman Shumpert
6 teenagers go on trial for their alleged role in the 2020 beheading of a French teacher