Current:Home > ContactNovaQuant-US military leaders press Israel to shift from major combat as Iranian-backed ship attacks escalate -Capitatum
NovaQuant-US military leaders press Israel to shift from major combat as Iranian-backed ship attacks escalate
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:29:43
WASHINGTON (AP) — The NovaQuanttop two U.S. military leaders are traveling to Tel Aviv to advise the Israeli government on how to transition from major combat operations against Hamas in Gaza to a more limited campaign and prevent a wider regional war. Their trip comes as Iranian-backed militants on Saturday launched a wave of attack drones against ships in the Red Sea and said they would continue until Israel’s “aggression” ends.
One of the American warships assigned to the Ford carrier strike group, the destroyer USS Carney, “successfully engaged” 14 one-way attack drones launched from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen, U.S. Central Command said in a statement. Britain reported that a Royal Navy destroyer downed another drone that was targeting commercial ships.
It was the latest in a series of attacks threatening commercial and U.S. Navy ships in the Red Sea that have escalated after Israel intensified its response to the Hamas’ strike against Israel on Oct. 7. Israel is stinging from the deadliest attack ever on its homefront and has pledged that its offensive will not cease until Hamas is destroyed.
U.S. defense leaders are hoping to prevent the risk of wider regional conflict, both through a sustained high level of U.S. military presence and by engaging with the Israelis to get them to move beyond the massive bombardment campaign.
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. CQ Brown, who are heading to Israel, served in leadership roles as U.S. airpower and ground forces moved from major combat to lower-intensity counterterrorism operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. But it is not clear how deeply their advice from lessons learned will resonate with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government.
Their trip highlights the increased efforts by the Biden administration to convince Israel that it should scale back its offensive, which has flattened much of Gaza’s northern region, displaced millions and killed more than 18,700 Palestinians, according to the Health Ministry in the Hamas-run territory.
Israel’s push has been complicated by the dense urban population and Hamas’ network of tunnels, and the militants are accused of using civilians as “human shields.” The sustained intensity of Israel’s campaign has led President Joe Biden to warn that the U.S. ally is losing international support because of its “indiscriminate bombing.”
U.S. officials have been telling Israel for several weeks that its window is closing for concluding major combat operations in Gaza without risking the loss of even more backing.
In a meeting Thursday, Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, urged Netanyahu to shift to more targeted operations by smaller military teams hunting specific high-value targets, rather than the sustained broad bombardment that has occurred so far. In response, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said his country would continue major combat operations against Hamas for several more months.
There are implications for the tens of thousands of U.S. service members deployed in the region.
Austin on Friday extended the deployment once more of the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford and a second warship in order to retain a two-carrier presence in the Mediterranean Sea. The ships are seen as vital to deter Iran from widening the Israel-Hamas war into a regional conflict. The approximately 5,000 sailors aboard the Ford were originally due home in early November.
There are 19 U.S. warships in the region, including seven in the eastern Mediterranean. A dozen more stretched down the Red Sea, across the Arabian Sea and up into the Persian Gulf.
The missile and drone attacks have led at least two major shipping companies, Hapag-Lloyd and Maersk, to order their commercial vessels to temporarily pause transits through the strait.
“This is a worldwide problem that affects Israel, too,” Gallant said the Houthis blocking shipping in the Red Sea. “We are ready to act. We know what to do. And we will find the right timing to act. We are giving a chance, in the maritime issue, to the international system. If we reach a situation where we are the final option, we will know what to do,” he said about a possible military response.
Mohammed Abdel-Salam, the Houthis’ chief negotiator and spokesman, wrote on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, that the Houthis would keep targeting Israel-linked vessels “until the aggression stops; the siege on Gaza is lifted; and humanitarian aid continues to flow into the Strip.”
Austin is expected also to visit Bahrain and Qatar and further work toward establishing a new maritime mission to provide increased security for commercial ships sailing in the southern Red Sea. Bahrain is the home of the U.S. Navy’s Central Command headquarters and the international maritime task force charged with ensuring safe passage for vessels in the region.
Qatar has been vital in helping keep what has been a deadly localized war from boiling over into a regional conflict and negotiating hostage release.
Earlier in his Army career, Austin oversaw the drawdown of forces in Iraq in 2011. He visited Israel days after the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas and has spoken to Gallant, his Israeli counterpart, more than two dozen times since then.
In his meetings in Israel, he is likely to continue discussions on how Israelis define different military campaign milestones, to be able to assess when they will have sufficiently degraded Hamas to ensure their own security and shift from major combat operations, a senior U.S. defense official told reporters traveling with Austin.
—-
Associated Press writer Sam Magdy in Cairo contributed to this report.
veryGood! (6594)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Mormon church selects British man from lower-tier council for top governing body
- 55 cultural practices added to UNESCO's list of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- Baltimore’s light rail service suspended temporarily for emergency inspections
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- A pregnant woman in Kentucky sues for the right to get an abortion
- African bank accounts, a fake gold inheritance: Dating scammer indicted for stealing $1M
- New York can enforce laws banning guns from ‘sensitive locations’ for now, U.S. appeals court rules
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Mexico-based startup accused of selling health drink made from endangered fish: Nature's best kept secret
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- On sidelines of COP28, Emirati ‘green city’ falls short of ambitions, but still delivers lessons
- UNLV shooting victims join growing number of lives lost to mass killings in US this year
- Guyana is preparing to defend borders as Venezuela tries to claim oil-rich disputed region, president says
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Fox snatcher: Footage shows furry intruder swiped cameras from Arizona backyard
- Guyana is preparing to defend borders as Venezuela tries to claim oil-rich disputed region, president says
- How a top economic adviser to Biden is thinking about inflation and the job market
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Stock analysts who got it wrong last year predict a soft landing in 2024
With no supermarket for residents of Atlantic City, New Jersey and hospitals create mobile groceries
Kevin Costner Sparks Romance Rumors With Jewel After Christine Baumgartner Divorce Drama
Travis Hunter, the 2
African bank accounts, a fake gold inheritance: Dating scammer indicted for stealing $1M
Lawmakers seek action against Elf Bar and other fruity e-cigarettes imported from China
Thursday Night Football highlights: Patriots put dent into Steelers' playoff hopes