Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|Maine's top election official asks state supreme court to review Trump ballot eligibility decision -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Maine's top election official asks state supreme court to review Trump ballot eligibility decision
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 01:15:06
Washington — Maine Secretary of State Shenna Bellows asked the state's highest court to review her decision to keep former President Donald Trump off the 2024 Republican presidential primary ballot,Burley Garcia seeking its intervention after a Maine superior court judge paused Bellows' ruling while the U.S. Supreme Court considers a similar dispute over Trump's eligibility.
"I know both the constitutional and state authority questions are of grave concern to many," Bellows, a Democrat, said in a statement Friday. "This appeal ensures that Maine's highest court has the opportunity to weigh in now, before ballots are counted, promoting trust in our free, safe and secure elections."
Maine and 15 other states hold their GOP presidential primaries on March 5, known as Super Tuesday.
Bellows determined last month that Trump is ineligible for the presidency under a Civil War-era constitutional provision and should therefore be kept off Maine's primary ballot. Trump appealed the decision to the Maine Superior Court, and a judge on Wednesday put Bellows' decision on hold while the U.S. Supreme Court weighs a similar challenge to the former president's candidacy from Colorado.
In her ruling, Superior Court Justice Michaela Murphy also sent the matter back to Bellows for additional proceedings as needed in light of the Supreme Court's forthcoming decision. Once the nation's highest court weighs in, Bellows has 30 days to issue a new decision "modifying, withdrawing or confirming" her December determination about Trump's eligibility, Murphy said.
Bellows said in her statement she welcomes a ruling from the nation's highest court "that provides guidance as to the important Fourteenth Amendment questions" raised in the Colorado case, but noted that Maine law allows her to seek review from the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
The request from Maine's top election official means that a second state high court could address whether Trump is constitutionally eligible for a second term in the White House under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment before the Supreme Court hears arguments Feb. 8.
Trump's lawyers on Thursday urged the justices in his opening brief to "put a swift and decisive end" to efforts to exclude him from the 2024 ballot, which have been pursued in more than 30 states. Trump's brief warned that the challenges to his candidacy threaten to disenfranchise millions of his supporters and "promise to unleash chaos and bedlam if other state courts and state officials follow Colorado's lead and exclude the likely Republican presidential nominee from their ballots."
- In:
- Donald Trump
- Maine
Melissa Quinn is a politics reporter for CBSNews.com. She has written for outlets including the Washington Examiner, Daily Signal and Alexandria Times. Melissa covers U.S. politics, with a focus on the Supreme Court and federal courts.
TwitterveryGood! (941)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Soccer Player Olga Carmona Learns of Her Dad’s Death After Scoring Winning Goal in World Cup Final
- Nine-time Pro Bowler and Georgia Tech Hall of Famer Maxie Baughan dies at 85
- The echo of the bison
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Green Bay police officer accused of striking man with squad car pleads not guilty
- Newborn twins taken from Michigan hotel have been found safe, police say
- NFL preseason game suspended after New England Patriots corner stretchered off
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- 'Blue Beetle' rises to the challenge, ends 'Barbie's month-long reign at box office
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Wildfire nears capital of Canada's Northwest Territories as thousands flee
- FEMA administrator Deanne Criswell says emergency funds could be depleted within weeks
- Diamondbacks' Tommy Pham gets into argument with fans after 'disrespectful' comments
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Denmark and Netherlands pledge to give F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine as Zelenskyy visits
- The 50 best superhero movies ever, ranked (from 'Blue Beetle' to 'Superman')
- Portland Timbers fire coach Giovanni Savarese after MLS returns from Leagues Cup break
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Three years after a foiled plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor, the final trial is set to begin
For one Texas doctor, abortion bans are personal and professional
John Cena returning to WWE in September, will be at Superstar Spectacle show in India
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Nobody Puts These 20 Secrets About Dirty Dancing in a Corner
Southern California braces for more floods as tropical storm soaks region from coast to desert
The Bachelorette Season 20 Finale: Find Out If Charity Lawson Got Engaged