Current:Home > InvestTrial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year -Capitatum
Trial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-05 22:30:13
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — A trial started Monday in Serbia for the parents of a teenager who is accused of killing 10 people and injuring six in a mass shooting at his school last May that left the Balkan nation in shock.
The suspected shooter, 13-year-old Kosta Kecmanovic, has been held in a mental institution since the attack and cannot be held criminally liable under Serbian law because of his age. His father and mother were charged with a “serious act against general safety” for failing to safeguard the weapon and ammunition used in the shooting.
The High Court in the capital, Belgrade, decided to keep the entire proceedings closed to the public despite calls by the defense lawyers that they be open. The couple, reportedly embraced in the courtroom and wept together, according to local media reports.
The shooting at a school in Belgrade last May 4, which left nine schoolmates and a security guard dead, was followed by another mass slaying a day later in central Serbia that killed eight people and wounded 14. The two attacks triggered months of protests against Serbia’s populist President Aleksandar Vucic for allegedly creating a culture of violence in a country that went through a series of bloody wars in the 1990s.
Kecmanovic’s father faces additional charges, including an accusation of training the boy how to shoot without properly guarding the weapons at their home. The manager of a shooting range and an instructor also have been charged.
Serbia has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. The country is full of weapons left over from the conflicts of the 1990s.
Chief prosecutor Nenad Stefanovic told state RTS broadcaster that he expects “a free and fair trial.”
The defense lawyers said Monday they are against keeping the trial closed to the public.
“Today the court made a decision to exclude the public in the entire course of this procedure, stating that this is done to protect the interests of minors and some private interests of the participants in the procedure,” lawyer Irina Borovic said. “Our position is that the decision of the court was absolutely hasty.”
veryGood! (5)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- Fantasy football Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em: 15 players to start or sit in Week 15
- Virginia sheriff’s office says Tesla was running on Autopilot moments before tractor-trailer crash
- Bear! Skier narrowly escapes crashing into bear on Tahoe slope: Watch video
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Gifts for the Go-Getters, Trendsetters & People Who Are Too Busy to Tell You What They Want
- $2 trillion worth of counterfeit products are sold each year. Can AI help put a stop to it?
- Snow closes schools and highways in northern China for the second time this week
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Cheating in sports: Michigan football the latest scandal. Why is playing by rules so hard?
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Gifts for the Go-Getters, Trendsetters & People Who Are Too Busy to Tell You What They Want
- Horoscopes Today, December 12, 2023
- Horoscopes Today, December 12, 2023
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Caitlin Clark signs NIL with Gatorade. How does Iowa star stack up to other star athletes?
- Football player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation
- Congressional candidate’s voter outreach tool is latest AI experiment ahead of 2024 elections
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Tunisia opposition figure Issa denounces military prosecution as creating fear about civil freedoms
New Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk is sworn in with his government
Black man choked and shocked by police died because of drugs, officers’ lawyers argue at trial
Bodycam footage shows high
Ethiopia arrests former peace minister over alleged links to an outlawed rebel group
This woman waited 4 hours to try CosMc's. Here's what she thought of McDonald's new concept.
South Dakota vanity plate restrictions were unconstitutional, lawsuit settlement says