Current:Home > reviewsLow-income subway, bus and commuter rail riders in Boston could be getting cheaper fares -Capitatum
Low-income subway, bus and commuter rail riders in Boston could be getting cheaper fares
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 12:55:16
BOSTON (AP) — Tens of thousands of lower income riders who rely on greater Boston’s public transit system could soon be getting a break on their fares under a plan approved by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s board of directors.
The vote was a big win for advocates who have long pushed for reduced fares. The proposal adopted Thursday would offer riders who are aged 26-64, non-disabled, and have lower incomes reduced fares of about 50% off on all MBTA modes, including subway and bus services.
The program also applies to the commuter rail. MBTA officials said they hope that will help make it more affordable to commute into Boston for individuals living in some of the state’s former industrial cities and towns.
Those who rely on the RIDE, the MBTA’s paratransit service, including seniors, will also benefit.
The fare changes are expected to go into effect this summer.
Those hoping to participate in the program will have to demonstrate their eligibility by showing they are already enrolled in other programs with a cutoff of 200% of the federal poverty level — about $30,000 annually or lower for an individual.
The MBTA estimates the cost of the changes to be up to $62 million including administrative costs, operating costs to meet demand, and fare revenue loss.
Based on earlier research, low income riders are expected to take 30% more trips with a reduced fare, significantly increasing mobility while saving on transportation costs, according to the MBTA.. More than 60,000 riders are expected to enroll in the program, which is expected to result in up to 8 million more trips per year.
The MBTA already has discounted fare programs for students and people aged 65 and older.
MBTA General Manager and CEO Phillip Eng said the transit agency is committed to making “meaningful improvements for riders, including making fares more affordable, which will improve quality of life, boost economic mobility, and encourage more riders to return to the system.”
Democratic Gov. Maura Healey supports the idea. Healey last year including a $5 million line item in her proposed state budget to help the MBTA begin laying the groundwork for a means-tested fare program.
During her 2022 campaign, Healey also pledged to pursue “low-income fares and unlimited bus transfers, as well as outlining a pathway to fare-free buses throughout the commonwealth.”
Former Gov. Charlie Baker had opposed similar efforts, citing concerns about pushing a reduced fare program at a time when the MBTA is facing a host of other challenges. He had also said he had concerns about how the system would make up for lost revenue.
Boston has been lagging behind other cities, including New York City, which offers lower income New Yorkers a 50% discount on subway and eligible bus fares, and San Francisco, which offers a 50% discount to those with an annual incomes at or below 200% of the federal poverty level.
Boston Mayor Michelle Wu has pushed for free MBTA fares. Wu gave the green light to three free MBTA bus routes in Boston with the city picking up the tab.
The program, which was set to expire at the end of February has been extended through March, 2026, with the city relying on federal American Rescue Plan Act money to fund the rides.
The bus routes run along some of the highest ridership bus corridors in the City of Boston, with over half of riders classified as low income, according to Wu.
Advocates have pointed to a 2019 Massachusetts Institute of Technology study that found low-income riders who received a 50% discounted fare took more trips than lower-income riders paying a regular fare, including more trips related to health care and social services.
veryGood! (75383)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Syria says Israeli airstrikes in an eastern province wounded 2 soldiers
- UK police open a corporate manslaughter investigation into a hospital where a nurse killed 7 babies
- Firefighters work until dawn to remove wreckage of bus carrying tourists in Venice; 21 dead
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Haitian students play drums and strum guitars to escape hunger and gang violence
- ‘Miracle’ water year in California: Rain, snow put state’s reservoirs at 128% of historical average
- Why oust McCarthy? What Matt Gaetz has said about his motivations to remove the speaker of the House
- Small twin
- Greece wants European Union to sanction countries that refuse deported migrants, minister says
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Denver Broncos to release veteran pass rusher Randy Gregory, per reports
- Austin man takes to social media after his cat was reportedly nabbed by his Lyft driver
- 11-year-old charged with attempted murder in shooting at Pop Warner football practice
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Aaron Rodgers takes shot at Travis Kelce, calls Chiefs TE 'Mr. Pfizer' due to vaccine ads
- New Mexico Attorney General has charged a police officer in the shooting death of a Black man
- Cruise defends safety record after woman pinned under self-driving taxi in San Francisco
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Turns out lots and lots of animals embrace same-sex relationships. Why will surprise you
Slovakia reintroduces checks on the border with Hungary to curb migration
More than 500 migrants arrive on Spanish Canary Islands in 1 day. One boat carried 280 people
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Stock market today: Asian shares are sharply lower, tracking a rates-driven tumble on Wall Street
Florida boy, 11, charged with attempted murder in shooting of 2 children after Pop Warner football practice
Michael Connelly, Nikki Grimes, Judy Blume and other authors unite against book bans