Current:Home > FinanceSupreme Court takes up case over gun ban for those under domestic violence restraining orders -Capitatum
Supreme Court takes up case over gun ban for those under domestic violence restraining orders
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:11:06
Washington — The Supreme Court said Friday it will consider whether a 30-year-old federal law that prohibits people under domestic violence restraining orders from possessing guns violates the Second Amendment, taking up a case that will test the high court's new standard for determining whether firearm restrictions pass constitutional muster.
The case was brought by a Texas man who was indicted by a federal grand jury for violating the 1994 law that prohibits gun ownership by a person subject to a domestic violence restraining order. The man, Zackey Rahimi, was under a restraining order granted to his former girlfriend in February 2020 when he threatened another woman with a gun and was involved in a series of five shootings in December 2020 and January 2021.
When police searched his home after identifying Rahimi as a suspect in the shootings, they found a .45-caliber pistol, a .308-caliber rifle, pistol and rifle magazines and ammunition.
Rahimi attempted to dismiss the indictment against him, arguing it violated the Second Amendment. A federal district court denied his motion, noting that a federal appeals court upheld the constitutionality of the firearms law in 2020.
Rahimi pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 73 months in prison, but appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals to the 5th Circuit. While the appeals court initially affirmed the lower court's decision, it withdrew its original opinion after the Supreme Court last year invalidated New York's rules for obtaining a license to carry a concealed handgun in public.
After its additional review, the 5th Circuit reversed course and held that the 1994 gun restriction for people subject to domestic violence restraining orders violated the Second Amendment, as the government failed to meet its burden of showing that the law is "consistent with the nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation."
The Supreme Court laid out that new "historical tradition" standard for gun restrictions in its June 2022 decision in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen, and the 5th Circuit rejected historical analogues put forth by the government.
"[T]he Supreme Court has made clear that 'the Second Amendment right is exercised individually and belongs to all Americans,'" Judge Cory Wilson wrote for the three-judge panel. "Rahimi, while hardly a model citizen, is nonetheless among 'the people' entitled to the Second Amendment's guarantees, all other things equal."
The Biden administration appealed the 5th Circuit's decision invalidating the firearms ban for people with domestic violence restraining orders, calling it "profoundly mistaken." The justices will hear arguments in its next term, which begins in October.
"Governments have long disarmed individuals who pose a threat to the safety of others, and Section 922(g)(8) falls comfortably within that tradition," Solicitor General Elizabeth Prelogar told the court in a filing. "The Fifth Circuit's contrary decision misapplies this Court's precedents, conflicts with the decisions of other courts of appeals, and threatens grave harms for victims of domestic violence. "
The Justice Department argued colonial and early state legislatures disarmed people who "posed a potential danger" to others, and pointed to laws dating back to the 1770s that disarmed entire groups of people deemed dangerous or untrustworthy, such as those who carried arms in a manner that spread fear.
"The Fifth Circuit treated even minor and immaterial distinctions between historical laws and their modern counterparts as a sufficient reason to find the modern laws unconstitutional," Prelogar said. "If that approach were applied across the board, few modern statutes would survive judicial review; most modern gun regulations, after all, differ from their historical forbears in at least some ways."
Rahimi's lawyers told the Supreme Court that it is too soon for it to intervene to clarify its opinion in the 2022 Bruen case, and accused the Biden administration of overstating the consequences of the 5th Circuit's decision.
Fewer than 50 people annually are prosecuted for violations of the gun ban for people who are subject to domestic violence restraining orders, they argued.
"The scant effort made by DOJ to prosecute cases under [the law] casts serious doubt on its current claim that the law is a critical tool to combat domestic violence," Rahimi's lawyers with the Federal Public Defender's Office in Amarillo, Texas, wrote in court papers.
They went on to argue that the founders extended the right to bear arms to all of "the people," rather than only law-abiding citizens, and said the Biden administration failed to show that the law at issue is consistent with the nation's history and tradition of firearm regulation.
"It has pointed to several dissimilar regulations that say nothing about intimate partner violence and do not involve total nationwide deprivations of the right to keep firearms at home for self-defense," Rahimi's attorneys claimed. "Because the Government has utterly failed to carry its burden, this Court's task is 'fairly straightforward': it should strike down [the ban] as facially unconstitutional."
veryGood! (3542)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Gunman on scooter charged with murder after series of NYC shootings that killed 86-year-old man and wounded 3 others
- Soccer legend Megan Rapinoe announces she will retire after 2023 season
- Trump says he'd bring back travel ban that's even bigger than before
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Dad who survived 9/11 dies after jumping into Lake Michigan to help child who fell off raft
- Fiancée speaks out after ex-boyfriend shoots and kills her husband-to-be: My whole world was taken away
- Chris Pratt Mourns Deaths of Gentlemen Everwood Co-Stars John Beasley and Treat Williams
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- We've Got 22 Pretty Little Liars Secrets and We're Not Going to Keep Them to Ourselves
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- In defense of gift giving
- Fortnite maker Epic Games agrees to settle privacy and deception cases
- In defense of gift giving
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Passenger says he made bomb threat on flight to escape cartel members waiting to torture and kill him in Seattle, documents say
- Louisville’s ‘Black Lives Matter’ Demonstrations Continue a Long Quest for Environmental Justice
- Polluting Industries Cash-In on COVID, Harming Climate in the Process
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
After the Fukushima disaster, Japan swore to phase out nuclear power. But not anymore
Mass layoffs are being announced by companies. If these continue, will you be ready?
Ariana Madix Shares NSFW Sex Confession Amid Tom Sandoval Affair in Vanderpump Rules Bonus Scene
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
The case of the two Grace Elliotts: a medical bill mystery
The Senate’s Two-Track Approach Reveals Little Bipartisanship, and a Fragile Democratic Consensus on Climate
New HIV case linked to vampire facials at New Mexico spa