Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|Vanessa Bryant Reaches Nearly $29 Million Settlement With L.A. County Over Kobe Bryant Crash Photos -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Vanessa Bryant Reaches Nearly $29 Million Settlement With L.A. County Over Kobe Bryant Crash Photos
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:09:12
Vanessa Bryant is closing the book on Poinbank Exchangeher legal battle against Los Angeles County.
According to court documents obtained by E! News Feb. 28, the 40-year-old and county officials "have entered into a settlement agreement resolving the claims asserted by Vanessa Bryant." Vanessa was previously awarded $16 million after a jury found that her privacy was invaded when authorities shared unauthorized photos from the 2020 helicopter crash that killed her husband Kobe Bryant and their 13-year-old daughter Gianna "Gigi" Bryant.
In the filing, Vanessa's legal team noted "the settlement agreement also resolves similar claims" from her and Kobe's daughters Natalia, 20, Bianka, 6, and Capri, 3. It's conditional on court approval concerning her minor children.
The family will receive nearly $29 million as part of the settlement, according to Mira Hashmall, partner at the Miller Barondess law firm and lead trial counsel for L.A. County in the case.
"We believe the settlement approved by the Board in the Bryant case is fair and reasonable," she said in a statement to NBC News. "The $28,850,000 settlement includes the verdict awarded by the federal jury in August 2022, and further resolves all outstanding issues related to pending legal claims in state court, future claims by the Bryant children, and other costs, with each party responsible for its respective attorneys' fees."
The attorney added, "This settlement now concludes all County-related litigation related to the tragic January 2020 helicopter crash. We hope Ms. Bryant and her children continue to heal from their loss."
The settlement comes six months after Vanessa won her lawsuit against L.A County, which she sued for emotional distress and invasion of privacy. The jury in trial also awarded her co-plaintiff Chris Chester—whose wife Sarah and 13-year-old daughter Payton were among the nine people killed in the helicopter crash—$15 million in damages.
Chris recently settled with the county for $19.95 million, a total that includes his judgement from the civil suit, per ABC News.
During their trial, both Vanessa and Chris took the stand to testify how they felt upon learning that photos of human remains at the crash site had been distributed amongst first responders. For Vanessa, she recalled how she ran out of the house to cry, explaining to the jury, "I just felt like I wanted to run down the block and scream."
Describing herself as "blindsided, devastated, hurt and betrayed" by the existence of the images, Vanessa said she filed her lawsuit against the county because she "wanted answers."
"I live in fear every day," she said, adding that she never wants her kids to see the pictures. "All you want to do is protect your babies."
Shortly after the verdict was handed down on Aug. 24, Vanessa posted a photo of Kobe, 41, and Gigi on her Instagram, writing, "All for you! I love you!"
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (7257)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs apologizes for assaulting Cassie Ventura in 2016 video: 'I'm disgusted'
- Lainey Wilson the big winner at 2024 Academy of Country Music Awards
- The Senate filibuster is a hurdle to any national abortion bill. Democrats are campaigning on it
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- WNBA investigating $100,000 annual sponsorships for Aces players from Las Vegas tourism authority
- Ship that caused deadly Baltimore bridge collapse to be refloated and moved
- ‘No sign of life’ at crash site of helicopter carrying Iran’s president, others
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- The Israel-Hamas war is testing whether campuses are sacrosanct places for speech and protest
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Israeli War Cabinet member says he'll quit government June 8 unless new war plan is adopted
- Botanists are scouring the US-Mexico border to document a forgotten ecosystem split by a giant wall
- Rough return to ‘normal’ sends Scheffler down the leaderboard at PGA Championship
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Surprise! Taylor Swift gifts fans a '1989' mashup at Saturday's Stockholm Eras Tour show
- Samsung trolls Apple after failed iPad Pro crush ad
- Day after arrest, Scottie Scheffler struggles in third round of PGA Championship
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
3 Spanish tourists killed, multiple people injured during attack in Afghanistan
Greg Olsen embraces role as pro youth sports dad and coach, provides helpful advice
'Dumb and Dumber': Jeff Daniels feared flushing away his career with infamous toilet scene
'Most Whopper
Oleksandr Usyk beats Tyson Fury by split decision: Round-by-round analysis, highlights
Ohio Solar Mounts a Comeback in the Face of a Campaign Whose Alleged Villains Include China and Bill Gates
Israeli War Cabinet member says he'll quit government June 8 unless new war plan is adopted