Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-North Korea says leader Kim supervised tests of cruise missiles designed to be fired from submarines -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-North Korea says leader Kim supervised tests of cruise missiles designed to be fired from submarines
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-05 23:36:52
SEOUL,Will Sage Astor South Korea (AP) — North Korean leader Kim Jong Un supervised test firings of new cruise missiles designed to be launched from submarines and also reviewed efforts to build a nuclear-powered submarine while reiterating his goal of building a nuclear-armed navy to counter what he portrays as growing external threats, state media said Monday.
The report came a day after South Korea’s military said it detected North Korea firing multiple cruise missiles over waters near the eastern port of Sinpo, where the North has a major shipyard developing submarines. It was the latest in a streak of weapons demonstrations by North Korea amid increasing tensions with the United States, South Korea and Japan.
North Korea’s official newspaper Rodong Sinmun published photos of what appeared to be at least two missiles fired separately. Both created grayish-white clouds as they broke the water surface and soared into the air at an angle of around 45 degrees, which possibly suggests they were fired from torpedo launch tubes.
State media said the missiles were Pulhwasal-3-31, a new type of weapon first tested last week in land-based launches from North Korea’s western coast.
The reports implied that two missiles were fired during the test but did not specify the vessel used for the launches. North Korea in past years has fired missiles both from developmental, missile-firing submarines and underwater test platforms built on barges.
In recent years, North Korea has tested a variety of missiles designed to be fired from submarines as it pursues the ability to conduct nuclear strikes from underwater. In theory, such capacity would bolster its deterrent by ensuring a survivable capability to retaliate after absorbing a nuclear attack on land.
Missile-firing submarines would also add a maritime threat to the North’s growing collection of solid-fuel weapons fired from land vehicles that are designed to overwhelm missile defenses of South Korea, Japan and the United States.
Still, it would take considerable time, resources and technological improvements for the heavily sanctioned nation to build a fleet of at least several submarines that could travel quietly and execute attacks reliably, analysts say.
The North’s official Korean Central News Agency said Kim expressed satisfaction after the missiles accurately hit their sea targets during Sunday’s test.
He then issued unspecified important tasks for “realizing the nuclear weaponization of the navy and expanding the sphere of operation,” which he described as crucial goals considering the “prevailing situation and future threats,” the report said. KCNA said Kim was also briefed on efforts to develop a nuclear-propelled submarine and other advanced naval vessels.
Kim issued similar comments about a nuclear-armed navy in September while attending the launching ceremoney of what the North described as a new submarine capable of firing tactical nuclear weapons from underwater. He said then that the country was pursuing a nuclear-propelled submarine and that it plans to remodel existing submarines and surface vessels so they can handle nuclear weapons.
Nuclear-propelled submarines can quietly travel long distances and approach enemy shores to deliver strikes, which would bolster Kim’s declared aim of building a nuclear arsenal that could viably threaten the U.S. mainland. But experts say such vessels are likely unfeasible for the North without external assistance in the near-term.
North Korea has an estimated 70 to 90 diesel-powered submarines in one of the world’s largest submarine fleets. But they are mostly aging vessels capable of launching only torpedoes and mines.
South Korea’s military said the submarine unveiled by North Korea in September, the “Hero Kim Kun Ok,” didn’t look ready for operational duty and suggested the North was exaggerating its capabilities.
The submarine appeared to have at least 10 launch tubes possibly designed for missiles. The South’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said that the North would have needed to increase the size of the bridge and other parts of the original vessel to accommodate missile launch systems, but that the appearance of the vessel suggested it could “not be operated normally.”
Tensions on the Korean Peninsula have increased in recent months as Kim accelerates his weapons development and issues provocative threats of nuclear conflict with the U.S. and its Asian allies.
The U.S., South Korea and Japan in response have been expanding their combined military exercises, which Kim condemns as invasion rehearsals, and sharpening their deterrence strategies built around nuclear-capable U.S. assets.
The recent cruise missile launches followed a Jan. 14 test firing of North Korea’s first solid-fuel intermediate-range ballistic missile, which reflected Kim’s efforts to expand his arsenal of weapons designed to overwhelm missile defenses in South Korea and Japan and remote U.S. targets in the Pacific, including Guam.
veryGood! (18)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- 7 US troops hurt in raid with Iraqi forces targeting Islamic State group militants that killed 15
- Brazil blocks Musk’s X after company refuses to name local representative amid feud with judge
- College football games you can't miss from Week 1 schedule start with Georgia-Clemson
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Jack White threatens to sue over Trump campaign staffer's use of White Stripes song
- Watch Travis Kelce annoy Christian McCaffrey in new Lowe's ad ahead of NFL season
- Alexei Popyrin knocks out defending champ Novak Djokovic in US Open third round
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Oregon ban on hard-to-trace ghost guns goes into effect Sunday
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Banana Republic’s Labor Day Sale Has Fall Staples Starting at $18—Save up to 90% off Jackets & Sweaters
- Will Lionel Messi travel for Inter Miami's match vs. Chicago Fire? Here's the latest
- Jewish students at Columbia faced hostile environment during pro-Palestinian protests, report finds
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Winners and losers of the Brandon Aiyuk contract extension
- A Georgia Democrat seeks to unseat an indicted Trump elector who says he only did what he was told
- Fantasy author Brandon Sanderson breaks another Kickstarter record with Cosmere RPG
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Gun Violence On Oahu’s West Side Has Parents And Teachers Worried About School Safety
Ex-Florida deputy released on bond in fatal shooting of U.S. Airman Roger Fortson
Jessica Biel and Son Silas Timberlake Serve Up Adorable Bonding Moment in Rare Photo at U.S. Open
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Former California employee to get $350K to settle sexual harassment claims against state treasurer
Jaw-Dropping Old Navy Labor Day Sale: Tanks for $4, Jumpsuits for $12, and More Deals Up to 70% Off
Police use Taser to subdue man who stormed media area of Trump rally in Pennsylvania