Current:Home > NewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Half of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population flees as the separatist government says it will dissolve -Capitatum
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Half of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population flees as the separatist government says it will dissolve
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:34:14
YEREVAN,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center Armenia (AP) — The separatist government of Nagorno-Karabakh announced Thursday that it will dissolve itself and the unrecognized republic will cease to exist by the end of the year, and Armenian officials said more than half of the population has already fled.
That is after Azerbaijan carried out a lightning offensive to reclaim full control over its breakaway region and demanded that Armenian troops in Nagorno-Karabakh lay down their weapons and the separatist government dissolve itself.
A decree to that effect was signed by the region’s separatist President Samvel Shakhramanyan. The document cited an agreement reached last week to end the fighting under which Azerbaijan will allow the “free, voluntary and unhindered movement” of Nagorno-Karabakh residents and disarm troops in Armenia in exchange.
Nagorno-Karabakh is a region of Azerbaijan that came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by the Armenian military, in separatist fighting that ended in 1994. During a six-week war in 2020, Azerbaijan took back parts of the region along with surrounding territory that Armenian forces had claimed during the earlier conflict.
Following the latest offensive and a cease-fire agreement brokered by Russian peacekeepers, Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh separatist authorities have begun talks on “reintegrating” the region back into Azerbaijan. Azerbaijani authorities have pledged to respect the rights of ethnic Armenians in the region and restore supplies after a 10-month blockade. Many local residents, however, fear reprisals and have decided to leave for Armenia.
By Thursday morning, more than half of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population — over 65,000 people — had fled to Armenia, according to Armenian officials.
The massive exodus began on Sunday evening, and the only road linking Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia quickly filled up with cars that created an hourslong traffic jam. On Monday night, a fuel reservoir exploded at a gas station where people seeking to leave were lining up for gas that due to the blockade had been in short supply. At least 68 people were killed and nearly 300 injured, with over 100 more still considered missing.
It isn’t immediately clear if any of the ethnic Armenians that have populated the region will remain there. Shakhramayan’s decree on Thursday urged Nagorno-Karabakh’s population — including those who left — “to familiarize themselves with the conditions of reintegration offered by the Republic of Azerbaijan, in order to then make an individual decision about the possibility of staying in (or returning to) Nagorno-Karabakh.”
___
Ethnic Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh comfort a young woman upon arriving to Kornidzor in Syunik region, Armenia, Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2023. (AP Photo/Vasily Krestyaninov)
Associated Press writer Dasha Litvinova in Tallinn, Estonia, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Maui residents fill philanthropic gaps while aid makes the long journey to the fire-stricken island
- California town of Paradise deploys warning sirens as 5-year anniversary of deadly fire approaches
- Loved ones frantically search for DC-area attorney Jared Shadded, last seen at Seattle Airbnb
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- How 5th Circuit Court of Appeals mifepristone ruling pokes holes in wider FDA authority
- A camp teaches Ukrainian soldiers who were blinded in combat to navigate the world again
- Sea temperatures lead to unprecedented, dangerous bleaching of Florida’s coral reef, experts say
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Here’s the Secret To Getting Bouncy, Long-Lasting Curls With Zero Effort
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Checking in on the World Cup
- California town of Paradise deploys warning sirens as 5-year anniversary of deadly fire approaches
- Feds raise concerns about long call center wait times as millions dropped from Medicaid
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Former Northwestern athletes send letter defending school’s athletic culture
- Contract talks continue nearly 2 months into strike at Pennsylvania locomotive plant
- 2 Florida men sentenced to federal prison for participating in US Capitol riot
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
3 suspected spies for Russia arrested in the U.K.
Dancing With the Stars' Emma Slater Shares Reason Behind Sasha Farber Divorce
Dominican investigation of Rays' Wander Franco being led by gender violence and minors division
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Brazilian hacker claims Bolsonaro asked him to hack into the voting system ahead of 2022 vote
Mississippi issues statewide burn ban at state parks and fishing lakes
USWNT doesn't have four years to make fixes to flaws exposed at World Cup