Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:53:09
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s military was aware of Hamas ' plan to launch an attack on Ethermac ExchangeIsraeli soil over a year before the devastating Oct. 7 operation that killed hundreds of people, The New York Times reported Friday.
It was the latest in a series of signs that top Israeli commanders either ignored or played down warnings that Hamas was plotting the attack, which triggered a war against the Islamic militant group that has devastated the Gaza Strip.
The Times said Israeli officials were in possession of a 40-page battle plan, code-named “Jericho Wall,” that detailed a hypothetical Hamas attack on southern Israeli communities.
It was unclear how the document was obtained by Israel, but the article said that it had been translated — indicating it may have been in Arabic and directly intercepted from Hamas.
The Israeli military declined to comment on the report, saying it was “currently focused on eliminating the threat from the terrorist organization Hamas.”
“Questions of this kind will be looked into in a later stage,” it said.
The document was seen by many Israeli military and intelligence officials, the report said, though it was unclear if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or other top leaders had seen it.
The document predicted that Hamas would bombard Israel with rockets, use drones to disable Israel’s security and surveillance abilities at the border wall, and take over southern communities and military bases. Another 2016 Israeli defense memo obtained by the Times said Hamas intended to take hostages back to Gaza.
The Oct. 7 attack — in which 1,200 people were killed and 240 people were abducted and taken to Gaza — would uncannily mirror the one outlined in the battle plan. But Israeli officials had brushed off the plan, the report said, dismissing it as “aspirational” rather than something that could practically take place, the report said.
The report comes amid public fury toward the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for failing to prevent an attack that appears to have been preceded by numerous warning signs.
The attack was planned in plain sight. A month before the assault, Hamas posted a video to social media showing fighters using explosives to blast through a replica of the border gate, sweep in on pickup trucks and then move building by building through a full-scale reconstruction of an Israeli town, firing automatic weapons at human-silhouetted paper targets.
In the video, the militants destroyed mock-ups of the wall’s concrete towers and a communications antenna, just as they would do for real on Oct. 7.
Adding to public outrage over the military’s apparent negligence, the Israeli media has reported that military officials dismissed warnings from female border spotters who warned that they were witnessing Hamas’ preparations for the attack. According to the media reports, the young women reported seeing Hamas drones and attempts to knock out Israeli border cameras in the months leading up to the attack.
Netanyahu has stopped short of apologizing for the attack, and has said that determining blame will have to come after the war is waged. Critics say he is attempting to escape responsibility for myriad intelligence failures leading to the deadliest day in Israeli history.
veryGood! (2631)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- How a civil war erupted at Fox News after the 2020 election
- Unleashed by Warming, Underground Debris Fields Threaten to ‘Crush’ Alaska’s Dalton Highway and the Alaska Pipeline
- Titanic Submersible Passenger Shahzada Dawood Survived Horrifying Plane Incident 5 Years Ago With Wife
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Lina Khan is taking swings at Big Tech as FTC chair, and changing how it does business
- Florida Judge Asked to Recognize the Legal Rights of Five Waterways Outside Orlando
- How (and why) Gov. Ron DeSantis took control over Disney World's special district
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- The West Sizzled in a November Heat Wave and Snow Drought
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Country star Jason Aldean cites dehydration and heat exhaustion after rep says heat stroke cut concert short
- As Russia’s War In Ukraine Disrupts Food Production, Experts Question the Expanding Use of Cropland for Biofuels
- To Equitably Confront Climate Change, Cities Need to Include Public Health Agencies in Planning Adaptations
- Small twin
- In Three Predominantly Black North Birmingham Neighborhoods, Residents Live Inside an Environmental ‘Nightmare’
- Warming Trends: Americans’ Alarm Grows About Climate Change, a Plant-Based Diet Packs a Double Carbon Whammy, and Making Hay from Plastic India
- Herbivore Sale: The Top 15 Skincare Deals on Masks, Serums, Moisturizers, and More
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
As Big Energy Gains, Can Europe’s Community Renewables Compete?
Japan ad giant and other firms indicted over alleged Olympic contract bid-rigging
Beyoncé's Adidas x Ivy Park Drops a Disco-Inspired Swim Collection To Kick off the Summer
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Media mogul Barry Diller says Hollywood executives, top actors should take 25% pay cut to end strikes
Tickets to see Lionel Messi's MLS debut going for as much as $56,000
5 DeSantis allies now control Disney World's special district. Here's what's next