Current:Home > reviewsSan Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting -Capitatum
San Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:50:29
The University of Nevada has made it clear that its Oct. 26 volleyball match against San Jose State will go on as scheduled after the team’s players released an independent statement saying they would “refuse to participate in any match that advances injustice against female athletes.”
Four teams had previously canceled games against San Jose State: Boise State, Southern Utah, Utah State and Wyoming, with none of the schools explicitly saying why they were forfeiting.
“We demand that our right to safety and fair competition on the court be upheld,” read the Nevada players’ statement, which the university said Monday was released the day prior without consultation with school officials.
The Republican governors of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming have made public statements in support of the cancellations, citing a need for fairness in women’s sports.
Nevada’s Republican Governor, Joe Lombardo, posted Tuesday on the social platform X that he “wholeheartedly respect the decision of the players. No student athlete should ever be pressured to play a game where they don’t feel safe — period.”
San Jose State has not made any direct comments about the politicians’ “fairness” references.
Nevada’s athletic department cited state equality laws as the reason it couldn’t back out of its match, while acknowledging most of the players said they wouldn’t take the court.
The athletic department also stated the university is “governed by federal law as well as the rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference, which include providing competition in an inclusive and supportive environment.”
Nevada’s Republican lieutenant governor also supported a cancellation before the school corrected its course.
The athletic department said players will not be subject to disciplinary action if they refuse to participate in the match.
“The players’ decision and statement were made independently, and without consultation with the University or the athletic department,” Nevada athletics’ statement read. “The players’ decision also does not represent the position of the University.”
Nevada senior Sia Liilii told OutKick the team was upset with its athletic department.
“We decided that we’re going to stand in solidarity with other teams that have already forfeited and that we wouldn’t participate in a game that advances sex-based discrimination or injustice against female athletes,” Liilii told the website.
The cancellations could cause some teams to not qualify for the conference tournament Nov. 27-30 in Las Vegas.
___
AP college sports: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports
veryGood! (3153)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Biden’s withdrawal injects uncertainty into wars, trade disputes and other foreign policy challenges
- The Daily Money: Americans are ditching their cars
- Homeland Security secretary names independent panel to review Trump assassination attempt
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- New Orleans civil rights icon Tessie Prevost dead at 69
- 3 rescued after homeowner's grandson intentionally set fire to Georgia house, officials say
- Mega Millions winning numbers for July 19 drawing: Jackpot now worth $279 million
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- National bail fund returns to Georgia after judge says limits were arbitrary
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Fossil Fuel Development and Invasive Trees Drive Pronghorn Population Decline in Wyoming
- 16 & Pregnant Alum Autumn Crittendon Dead at 27
- CrowdStrike says more machines fixed as customers, regulators await details on what caused meltdown
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Wildfires in California, Utah prompt evacuations after torching homes amid heat wave
- Investors react to President Joe Biden pulling out of the 2024 presidential race
- Woman stabbed at Miami International Airport, critically injured
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Airlines, government and businesses rush to get back on track after global tech disruption
LeBron James selected as Team USA male flagbearer for Paris Olympics opening ceremony
Harris gets chance to press reset on 2024 race against Trump
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Happy birthday, Prince George! William and Kate share new photo of 11-year-old son
Stock market today: Asian shares fall after Wall St ends worst week; Biden withdraw from 2024 race
Curiosity rover makes an accidental discovery on Mars. What the rare find could mean