Current:Home > InvestProsecutors investigating the Venice bus crash are questioning survivors and examining the guardrail -Capitatum
Prosecutors investigating the Venice bus crash are questioning survivors and examining the guardrail
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 10:31:39
MILAN (AP) — Prosecutors in Italy said Thursday they have ordered an expert examination of an overpass guardrail that gave way when struck by a shuttle bus that plunged nearly 10 meters to the ground earlier this week, killing 20 foreign tourists and the driver.
Prosecutor Bruno Cherchi told reporters that the guardrail is one of the pieces of evidence being examined, along with witness testimony and video from both the scene and inside the bus and the vehicle’s data recording device.
Some of the possible causes floated for the crash include the driver being struck by a sudden illness, or making a risky maneuver. Authorities also plan to do an autopsy on the driver, and examine his cell phone.
Nine Ukrainians were among the tourists killed, along with four Romanians, three Germans, two Portuguese, one Croat and one South African. All had been sightseeing in Venice and were traveling on a shuttle back to a campground on the Venetian mainland when the accident occurred.
“We are talking about people who were returning after a day touring and were very tired. Some were sleeping. Some didn’t notice anything, some did,’’ Cherchi said.
A video shows the bus driving off the overpass during rush-hour traffic on Tuesday. Prosecutors said it scraped along the guardrail for some 50 meters (yards) before breaking through both the guardrail and a rusty handrail and plunging to the ground.
The bus landed upside down, its front completely crushed. When rescuers arrived it was on fire, and some survivors, including a young Ukrainian girl, were being treated for severe burns.
There is no evidence that the bus caught fire before impact, the prosecutor said.
The 15 survivors, including four Ukrainians, two Spaniards and a French person, are all hospitalized with serious to critical injuries. Some are not yet able to speak, both physically and psychologically, Cherchi said.
“Many of the injured have lost close relatives, and are in a very delicate psychological condition,’’ he said.
One of the survivors is a 24-year-old Croatian man who was on his honeymoon, and lost his wife, who was reportedly six-months pregnant, in the crash, according to Croatian press reports.
The four Romanian victims were a family residing in Germany, including two girls, 8 and 14 years old, according to Romanian media channel Digi24.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- After three decades, Florida killer clown case ends with unexpected twist
- Will Ariana Madix's Boyfriend Daniel Wai Appear on Vanderpump Rules? She Says...
- Two dead, 18 injured in Ybor City, Florida, shooting
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- 5 Things podcast: Israel expands ground operation into Gaza, Matthew Perry found dead
- French government says 9 people detained after violent attack on Lyon soccer team buses
- 5 dead as construction workers fall from scaffolding at a building site in Hamburg
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Israeli defense minister on Hamas, ground operations: 'Not looking for bigger wars'
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Biden wants to move fast on AI safeguards and will sign an executive order to address his concerns
- Tyrod Taylor, Darren Waller ruled out of Giants game against Jets after injuries
- It's unlikely, but not impossible, to limit global warming to 1.5 Celsius, study finds
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- China’s declining aid to Pacific islands increasingly goes to allies, think tank reports
- Coach Fabio Grosso hurt as Lyon team bus comes under attack before French league game at Marseille
- A Georgia restaurant charges a $50 fee for 'adults unable to parent' unruly children
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Coach hired, team still required: Soccer’s status in the Marshall Islands is a work in progress
Ex-cop who fired into Breonna Taylor’s apartment in flawed, fatal raid goes on trial again
Russia’s envoy uses the stage at a military forum in China to accuse the US of fueling tensions
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
All WanaBana apple cinnamon pouches recalled for potentially elevated levels of lead: FDA
Everything to know about the 'devil comet' expected to pass by Earth in the summer
Matthew Perry's family, Adele, Shannen Doherty pay tribute to 'Friends' star: 'Heartbroken'