Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in juvenile court in beating death of classmate: Reports -Capitatum
Charles Langston:4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in juvenile court in beating death of classmate: Reports
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 10:56:06
Four Las Vegas teenagers pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in juvenile court for beating their classmate to death,Charles Langston according to news reports.
Jonathan Lewis Jr., 17, died days after he was kicked, punched and stomped on in an alley near Rancho High School on Nov. 1, police said at the time. Video of the beating was posted online and widely shared. Police said 10 teens were involved and arrested at least eight teenagers between the ages of 13 and 17 last year.
Students, including Jonathan, met in the alley to fight over "stolen wireless headphones and, possibly, a stolen marijuana vape pen," Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Lt. Jason Johansson said at the time. A homicide detective who testified in a grand jury hearing said that video of the attack showed that Jonathan threw a punch at one of the students before being swarmed by the group, the Associated Press reported.
The teens, whom USA TODAY has not named because they were all minors at the time they were charged, were previously charged with murder as adults.
"The matter was rightfully returned to Juvenile court where sentencing matters are confidential," defense attorney Karen Connolly said in an emailed statement.
Connolly represents one of the teens who "deeply regrets his involvement in the fight that led to Jonathan’s tragic death." The teen was was "not a major participant" in the killing, according to the statement.
They pleaded guilty in juvenile court on Tuesday as part of a deal to keep them from being tried as adults, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported. The deal required all four to plead guilty, or they would all again face charges as adults, the outlet reported. They all face an undetermined length of time in juvenile detention. Minors in juvenile detention to not receive specific sentences but are released after they complete rehabilitation programs, said Brigid Duffy, the director of the Clark County district attorney’s office’s juvenile division.
Mellisa Ready, Jonathan's mother, told the Review-Journal that she opposed the plea deal and wanted stronger penalties for the teenagers.
"There’s literally no one being held accountable with true punishment for my son’s murder,” she said. "It's disgusting."
The district attorney's office did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Wednesday. USA TODAY has also reached out to Jonathan's father.
Police said at the time that it was Jonathan's friend who had the items stolen, but Jonathan fought on behalf of his friend.
"That's just the kind of person he was," his father, Jonathan Lewis Sr., told USA TODAY in November. He said his son was an avid hip-hop fan who also liked to make digital art.
Contributing: Christopher Cann, USA TODAY
veryGood! (851)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Trump's day in court, an unusual proceeding before an unusual audience
- Houston volunteer found not guilty for feeding the homeless. Now he's suing the city.
- Tickets for Lionel Messi's first road MLS match reaching $20,000 on resale market
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Family mistakenly held at gunpoint by Texas police say the stop traumatized the kids in the car
- Texas Border Patrol agents find seven spider monkeys hidden in a backpack
- Tim McGraw Reveals His Daughters Only Want to Sing With Mom Faith Hill
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Idaho student murders suspect Bryan Kohberger reveals alibi claim in new court filing
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- NFL Star Josh Allen Reacts to Being Photographed Making Out With Hailee Steinfeld
- Authorities identify another victim in Gilgo Beach serial killing investigation
- Mega Millions jackpot-winning odds are tiny but players have giant dreams
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Idaho stabbing suspect says he was out driving alone the night of students' killings
- Mega Millions players will have another chance on Friday night to win a $1.25 billion jackpot
- Major cases await as liberals exert control of Wisconsin Supreme Court
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
US expands curfews for asylum-seeking families to 13 cities as an alternative to detention
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announces separation from wife Sophie
Major cases await as liberals exert control of Wisconsin Supreme Court
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Justin Jones and Justin Pearson, expelled Tennessee House members, win back seats
Arizona reexamining deals to lease land to Saudi-owned farms
Houston volunteer found not guilty for feeding the homeless. Now he's suing the city.