Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Houthis launch more drone attacks as shipping companies suspend Red Sea operations -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Houthis launch more drone attacks as shipping companies suspend Red Sea operations
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:27:00
The Burley GarciaAmerican military said one of its ships deployed to the Red Sea has successfully shot down more than a dozen drones launched from areas of Yemen controlled by the Houthi militant group.
The guided missile destroyer USS Carney struck 14 one-way attack drones that formed part of a "drone wave," according to U.S. Central Command. No ships in the area were damaged and no one was injured, the U.S. military said.
A spokesperson for the Houthis asserted in a statement posted on Telegram that the group had fired a "large batch" of drones toward the Israeli coastal town of Eilat, at the northern tip of the Red Sea, as part of what they called "a victory for the oppression of the Palestinian people."
The group vowed to continue such attacks until Israel ends its campaign in Gaza, but a spokesperson insisted the attacks could become less frequent if more humanitarian aid was allowed into Gaza.
Saturday's attempt to target Eilat marked the latest incident in the region, with U.S. forces having earlier shot down a drone that was harassing an oil tanker Wednesday.
Britain's defense minister, Grant Shapps, said in a statement that the U.K. naval vessel HMS Diamond had also recently shot down what he termed a "suspected attack drone" that had targeted merchant shipping. "The recent spate of illegal attacks," Shapps wrote, "represent a direct threat to international commerce and maritime security in the Red Sea."
The Houthis, who control large swaths of northern Yemen, have said they will continue to attack vessels that are either owned or operated by Israeli firms, or are in transit to Israel.
The United States has long said the Houthis receive financial and military support from Iran, alongside other militant groups such as Hezbollah, which is based in Lebanon and has been involved in heightened clashes for the past two months with Israel's military in the region close to the two countries' shared border.
U.S. Central Command earlier this month said it had "every reason to believe that these attacks, while launched by the Houthis in Yemen, are fully enabled by Iran."
The impact on the international shipping business has been seismic, with Northern European companies Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd on Friday telling their ship captains to avoid the region or hold in place while the threat persists.
The Swiss-headquartered cargo giant MSC said on Saturday its vessels would cease transit through the Suez Canal for the foreseeable future after one of its ships, Palatium III, was attacked Friday morning.
That incident sparked a fire on board, though no crew members were injured. The company told customers its journey times would become several days longer as ships en route from Europe and North America to Asia would now need to travel far farther, around the southern tip of Africa.
veryGood! (815)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Planet Money Live: Two Truths and a Lie
- Supreme Court kills Biden's student debt plan in a setback for millions of borrowers
- From no bank to neobank
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Community and Climate Risk in a New England Village
- The Supreme Court rules against USPS in Sunday work case
- In Texas, a New Study Will Determine Where Extreme Weather Hazards and Environmental Justice Collide
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Swimming Against the Tide, a Retired Connecticut Official Won’t Stop Fighting for the Endangered Atlantic Salmon
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Surfer Mikala Jones Dead at 44 After Surfing Accident
- The Terrifying True Story of the Last Call Killer
- Jessica Simpson Proves She's Comfortable In This Skin With Make-Up Free Selfie on 43rd Birthday
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Former U.S. Gymnastics Doctor Larry Nassar Stabbed Multiple Times in Prison
- Elizabeth Gilbert halts release of a new book after outcry over its Russian setting
- Cheaper eggs and gas lead inflation lower in May, but higher prices pop up elsewhere
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
UPS workers facing extreme heat win a deal to get air conditioning in new trucks
Congress Urges EPA to Maintain Clean-Air Regulations on Chemical Recycling of Plastics
It's National Tequila Day 2023: See deals, recipes and drinks to try
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Logan Paul and Nina Agdal Are Engaged: Inside Their Road to Romance
RHONY's Kelly Bensimon Is Engaged to Scott Litner: See Her Ring
What the Vanderpump Rules Cast Has Been Up to Since Cameras Stopped Rolling