Current:Home > FinanceRays' Wander Franco placed on MLB restricted list after human trafficking charges -Capitatum
Rays' Wander Franco placed on MLB restricted list after human trafficking charges
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:43:54
Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco, facing up to 20 years in prison on charges of human trafficking, was formally placed on MLB’s restricted list Wednesday.
He no longer will be paid or receive service time.
Franco, who previously had been on administrative leave until charges were filed, was formally charged by Dominican Republic prosecutors with sexual abuse and sexual exploitation against a minor and with human trafficking.
“Serious charges,’’ Rays manager Kevin Cash told reporters Wednesday. “Very concerning.’’
The Rays, after being notified of the charges Tuesday night, requested Wednesday that he be placed on the restricted list instead of the administrative list since he is prohibited from playing. Franco was being paid $2.454 million in the third year of a 11-year, $182 million contract.
Follow every MLB game: Latest MLB scores, stats, schedules and standings.
Franco is facing a prison sentence of two to five years for sexual abuse and five to 10 years for sexual exploitation while the human trafficking charges carry a sentence from 15 to 20 years. If Franco is found guilty of multiple charges, he would be sentenced on the crime with the longest prison term, according to Dominican laws.
Franco is being charged with having a relationship with a then 14-year-old girl that began in December 2022, when Franco was 21. Franco previously denied all allegations, which surfaced on social media posts on Aug. 13, 2023.
Prosecutors presented nearly a 600-page report to a judge in January. It included details of the alleged sexual relationship derived from interviews and messages between Franco and the girl.
The report also alleged that Franco paid the girl’s mother to continue the relationship. The mother was also charged with trafficking, sexual exploitation and money laundering.
MLB will continue its own investigation of Franco after his legal status in the Dominican is determined.
“We are aware of the charges against Mr. Franco,’’ MLB said in a release. “Our investigation remains open and we will continue to closely monitor the case as it moves forward.’’
Follow Bob Nightengale on X @Bnightengale
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
veryGood! (34)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Parents of school shooting victims vow more action - even after shooter's parents convicted
- After dangerous tornadoes in Ohio and Indiana, survivors salvage, reflect and prepare for recovery
- From 4-leaf clovers to some unexpected history, all you need to know about St. Patrick’s Day
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Arizona legislation to better regulate rehab programs targeted by Medicaid scams is moving forward
- Interest in TikTok, distressed NY bank has echoes of Mnuchin’s pre-Trump investment playbook
- From 4-leaf clovers to some unexpected history, all you need to know about St. Patrick’s Day
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Jets to sign longtime Cowboys star Tyron Smith to protect Aaron Rodgers, per reports
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Los Angeles home that appears to belong to model and actor Cara Delevingne is destroyed in fire
- Judge mulls third contempt case against Arizona for failing to improve prison health care
- Luis Suárez scores two goals in 23 minutes, Inter Miami tops D.C. United 3-1 without Messi
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Long recovery ahead for some in path of deadly tornados in central U.S.
- Former four weight world champion Roberto Duran receiving medical care for a heart problem
- 2024 NFL free agency updates: Tracker for Friday's biggest buzz, notable contracts
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Bradley Cooper and Gigi Hadid Seal Their Romance With a Kiss in New PDA Photo
British warship identified off Florida coast 3 centuries after wreck left surviving crew marooned on uninhabited island
Fasting at school? More Muslim students in the US are getting support during Ramadan
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
U.S. measles milestone: 59 cases so far in 2024 — more than all of 2023
WATCH: NC State forces overtime with incredible bank-shot 3-pointer, defeats Virginia
Arizona authorities say a road rage incident led to a motorist’s death. The other man was arrested.