Current:Home > Contact500-year-old manuscript signed by Spanish conquistador Hernando Cortés returned to Mexico -Capitatum
500-year-old manuscript signed by Spanish conquistador Hernando Cortés returned to Mexico
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 10:19:09
BOSTON (AP) — A nearly 500-year-old manuscript signed by the Spanish conquistador Hernando Cortés in 1527 has been returned to the Archivo General de la Nación de México – Mexico’s national archives in Mexico City, U.S. officials said Tuesday.
The manuscript is a payment order signed by Cortés on April 27, 1527, authorizing the purchase of rose sugar for the pharmacy in exchange for 12 gold pesos.
It is believed to be one of several pieces unlawfully removed from a collection of documents concerning a Spanish expedition to Central America in 1527 that is housed in Mexico’s national archives.
Other news Outside experts’ last report raises questions about military’s role in disappearance of 43 students The last report submitted by a panel of outside experts has raised further questions about the Mexican military’s role in the 2014 disappearance of 43 students. A judge blocks limits on asylum at US-Mexico border but gives Biden administration time to appeal A federal judge has blocked a rule that allows immigration authorities to deny asylum to migrants who arrive at the U.S. Court battle over Trump-era border wall funding is over, as last state ends lawsuit The yearslong legal fight over former President Donald Trump’s decision to divert billions of dollars to build a U.S.-Mexico border wall has formally ended. Mexico’s native ethnic groups promote their heritage during Oaxaca’s biggest cultural festival The festival of Guelaguetza – the biggest cultural event in southwestern Mexico – showcases the traditions of 16 Indigenous ethnic groups and the Afro-Mexican community.Last week officials from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts and the FBI participated in a formal repatriation ceremony at Mexico’s national archives, where the manuscript is believed to have been unlawfully removed sometime before 1993.
It is a violation of federal law to transport or receive stolen goods valued at more than $5,000 that have traveled in foreign or interstate commerce.
According to investigators in early 2022, a person consigned the Cortés manuscript for online auction at a Massachusetts auction house. Mexican authorities alerted federal authorities in the United States that the manuscript being auctioned appeared to have been stolen.
The auction house removed the manuscript from the upcoming auction, and the manuscript was recovered, officials said.
“After missing for decades, thanks to incredible international collaboration and persistence the Cortés manuscript is finally where it belongs back in Mexico, where it will remain a treasured part of Mexico’s history and heritage,” acting U.S. Attorney Joshua Levy said in a written statement.
veryGood! (2726)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- 'Less lethal shotguns' suspended in Austin, Texas, after officers used munitions on 15-year-old girl
- Jon Batiste says his new album connects people to their own humanity and others
- Volunteers head off plastic waste crisis by removing tons of rubbish from Hungarian river
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Mom accused in child's death from 3rd floor window was subject of prior reports, state says
- Chris Noth breaks silence on abuse allegations: 'I'm not going to lay down and just say it's over'
- Pregnant woman’s arrest in carjacking case spurs call to end Detroit police facial recognition
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Stop calling us about manatees, they're just mating, Florida authorities tell beachgoers
Ranking
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Pakistan's former Prime Minister Imran Khan arrested after jail sentence for corruption conviction
- Orioles indicate broadcaster will be back after reports he was pulled over unflattering stats
- Get exclusive savings on new Samsung Galaxy devices—Z Flip 5, Z Fold 5, Watch 6, Tab S9
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Hiker found dead on remote Phoenix trail was probably a victim of the heat, authorities say
- Mom accused in child's death from 3rd floor window was subject of prior reports, state says
- 'Today' show's Jill Martin says she likely is cancer-free, but may undergo chemo
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Georgia tops USA TODAY Sports AFCA coaches poll: Why history says it likely won't finish there
Judge says man charged with killing 3 in suburban Boston mentally incompetent for trial
US investigating power-assisted steering failure complaints in older Ram pickup trucks
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
With strike talk prevalent as UAW negotiates, labor expert weighs in
Spin the wheel on these Pat Sajak facts: Famed host's age, height, career, more
Nearly all teens on Idaho YMCA camp bus that crashed have been released to their families