Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Citing security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:Citing security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:47:28
TORONTO — Canada announced Monday it is Johnathan Walkerbanning TikTok from all government-issued mobile devices, reflecting widening worries from Western officials over the Chinese-owned video sharing app.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said it might be a first step to further action or that it might be it.
"I suspect that as government takes the significant step of telling all federal employees that they can no longer use TikTok on their work phones many Canadians from business to private individuals will reflect on the security of their own data and perhaps make choices," Trudeau said.
"I'm always a fan of giving Canadians the information for them to make the right decisions for them," he added.
The European Union's executive branch said last week it has temporarily banned TikTok from phones used by employees as a cybersecurity measure.
The EU's action follows similar moves in the U.S., where more than half of the states and Congress have banned TikTok from official government devices.
Last week, Canada's federal privacy watchdog and its provincial counterparts in British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec announced an investigation to delve into whether the app complies with Canadian privacy legislation.
TikTok is wildly popular with young people, but its Chinese ownership has raised fears that Beijing could use it to collect data on Western users or push pro-China narratives and misinformation. TikTok is owned by ByteDance, a Chinese company that moved its headquarters to Singapore in 2020
TikTok faces intensifying scrutiny from Europe and America over security and data privacy amid worries that the app could be used to promote pro-Beijing views or sweep up users' information. It comes as China and the West are locked in a wider tug of war over technology ranging from spy balloons to computer chips.
Canadian Treasury Board President Mona Fortier said the federal government will also block the app from being downloaded on official devices in the future.
Fortier said in statement the Chief Information Officer of Canada determined that it "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."
The app will be removed from Canadian government issued phones on Tuesday.
"On a mobile device, TikTok's data collection methods provide considerable access to the contents of the phone," Fortier said.
"While the risks of using this application are clear, we have no evidence at this point that government information has been compromised."
Recent media reports have also raised concerns about potential Chinese interference in recent Canadian elections, prompting opposition parties to call for a public inquiry into alleged foreign election interference.
"It's curious that the Government of Canada has moved to block TikTok on government-issued devices—without citing any specific security concern or contacting us with questions—only after similar bans were introduced in the EU and the US," a TikTok spokesperson said in a email.
The company is always available to discuss the privacy and security of Canadians, the statement said. "Singling out TikTok in this way does nothing to achieve that shared goal," the email said. "All it does is prevent officials from reaching the public on a platform loved by millions of Canadians."
veryGood! (17)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why Blake Shelton Is Comparing Gwen Stefani Relationship to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Romance
- 50 years after ‘The Power Broker,’ Robert Caro’s dreams are still coming true
- M&M's announces Peanut butter & jelly flavor. Here's what you need to know.
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- GM recalling more than 449,000 SUVs, pickups due to issue with low brake fluid warning light
- Dutch government led by hard right asks for formal opt-out from EU migration rules
- The Bachelorette’s Devin Strader Breaks Silence on Past Legal Troubles
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Journalist Olivia Nuzzi Placed on Leave After Alleged Robert F. Kennedy Jr Relationship
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Families of Oxford shooting victims lose appeal over school’s liability for tragedy
- A death row inmate's letters: Read vulnerable, angry thoughts written by Freddie Owens
- In-person voting for the US presidential contest is about to start as Election Day closes in
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Nebraska resurgence just the latest Matt Rhule college football rebuild bearing fruit
- GM recalling more than 449,000 SUVs, pickups due to issue with low brake fluid warning light
- Burlington pays $215K to settle a lawsuit accusing an officer of excessive force
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Michael Madsen Accuses Wife of Driving Son to Kill Himself in Divorce Filing
National Pepperoni Pizza Day 2024: Get deals at Domino's, Papa Johns, Little Caesars, more
Georgia election rule changes by Trump allies raise fear of chaos in November
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
‘Grim Outlook’ for Thwaites Glacier
Hailey Bieber Is Glowing in New Photo After Welcoming Baby Boy With Justin Bieber
Ohio sheriff condemned for saying people with Harris yard signs should have their addresses recorded