Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-The U.K. blocks Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy game giant Activision Blizzard -Capitatum
Rekubit-The U.K. blocks Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy game giant Activision Blizzard
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 09:04:46
LONDON — British regulators on RekubitWednesday blocked Microsoft's $69 billion purchase of video game maker Activision Blizzard, thwarting the biggest tech deal in history over worries that it would stifle competition in the fast-growing cloud gaming market.
The Competition and Markets Authority said in its final report that "the only effective remedy" to the substantial loss of competition "is to prohibit the Merger." The companies have vowed to appeal.
The all-cash deal faced stiff opposition from rival Sony and was also being scrutinized by regulators in the U.S. and Europe over fears that it would give Microsoft control of popular game franchises like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Candy Crush.
The U.K. watchdog's concerns centered on how the deal would affect competition in cloud gaming, which involves streaming games to tablets, phones and other devices. That frees players from the need to buy expensive consoles and gaming computers.
Cloud gaming has the potential to change the industry by giving people more choice over how and where they play, said Martin Colman, chair of the Competition and Markets Authority's independent expert panel investigating the deal.
"This means that it is vital that we protect competition in this emerging and exciting market," he said.
Microsoft said it was disappointed and signaled it wasn't ready to give up.
"We remain fully committed to this acquisition and will appeal," President Brad Smith said in a statement. He said the watchdog's decision "rejects a pragmatic path to address competition concerns" and discourages tech innovation and investment in the United Kingdom.
"We're especially disappointed that after lengthy deliberations, this decision appears to reflect a flawed understanding of this market and the way the relevant cloud technology actually works," Smith said.
Activision also fired back, saying it would "work aggressively with Microsoft to reverse this on appeal."
Regulators had dropped concerns last month that the deal would hurt console gaming, saying it wouldn't benefit Microsoft to make Call of Duty exclusive to its Xbox console.
The watchdog said Wednesday that it reviewed Microsoft's proposals to ease competition concerns "in considerable depth" but found those solutions would require its oversight, whereas preventing the merger would allow cloud gaming to develop without intervention.
Microsoft already has a strong position in the cloud computing market and regulators concluded that if the deal went through, it would reinforce the company's advantage by giving it control of key game titles.
veryGood! (48)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Ex-New Mexico prison transport officer pleads guilty to sexually assaulting pretrial detainees
- NATO member-to-be Sweden and the US sign defense deal, saying it strengthens regional security
- A 9-year-old wanted to honor her dog that died. So she organized a pet drive for shelters.
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Ex-NFL player Sergio Brown pleads not guilty to killing mother
- Shannen Doherty Reveals She Underwent Brain Surgery After Discovering Husband's Alleged 2-Year Affair
- Arizona man charged over online posts that allegedly incited Australian attack in which 6 died
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- In rare action against Israel, U.S. will deny visas to extremist West Bank settlers
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Shannen Doherty Details Heartbreaking Moment She Believed She Wouldn't Survive Cancer Battle
- The top 1% of American earners now own more wealth than the entire middle class
- 160 funny Christmas jokes 'yule' love this holiday season
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Queens man indicted on hate crime charges in attack on Jewish tourist in Times Square
- Mississippi police searching for suspects in shooting that injured 5
- Shannen Doherty says she learned of ex's alleged affair shortly before brain tumor surgery
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Biden to sign executive order on federal funding for Native Americans
Here are the 25 most-viewed articles on Wikipedia in 2023
Michigan high court declines to immediately hear appeal of ruling allowing Trump on primary ballot
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
As COP28 talks try to curb warming, study says Earth at risk of hitting irreversible tipping points
Ex-Florida State president: FSU needs to leave ACC; playoff committee caved to pressure
Watch 'mastermind' deer lead police on chase through Sam's Club in Southern California