Current:Home > MyCourt convicts Portuguese hacker in Football Leaks trial and gives him a 4-year suspended sentence -Capitatum
Court convicts Portuguese hacker in Football Leaks trial and gives him a 4-year suspended sentence
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:34:29
LISBON, Portugal (AP) — A Portuguese hacker whose bombshell revelations on the “Football Leaks” website rocked European soccer was convicted Monday by a Lisbon court of nine crimes and given a suspended prison sentence of four years.
The three-judge panel found Rui Pinto, now 34 years old, guilty on five counts of unauthorized entry into computer systems, three counts of intercepting correspondence for accessing emails, and one count of attempted extortion, Portuguese media reported.
The court convicted Pinto of hacking computers belonging to the Doyen sports investment fund, the Portuguese attorney general’s office and a Lisbon law firm. It was not proven he had hacked a website belonging to the Portuguese soccer federation, the judges said.
Pinto’s disclosures embarrassed star players, top clubs and influential agents between 2015-18 and helped drive official investigations across Europe.
The website published information about the transfer fees and salaries of such stars as Neymar, then at Barcelona, Radamel Falcao at Monaco and Gareth Bale at Real Madrid. It also alleged that Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain flouted European soccer’s spending rules.
During his trial, Pinto admitted he was behind the information published on the website that was set up in 2015 but argued he is a whistleblower, not a criminal. However, he added: “My work as a whistleblower is finished.”
He said he had acted in the public interest for no personal gain. However, the court found him guilty of extortion in his dealings with Doyen.
His lawyers told the court that Pinto has helped authorities in Europe and beyond to tackle crime in the sport, especially murky financial dealings.
Pinto was cooperating with authorities in France, Belgium, Switzerland and Malta in their soccer investigations, they said.
After his arrest, Pinto spent 18 months in pre-trial detention in Lisbon, including seven months in isolation, before being released after starting to cooperate with Portuguese police and entering a witness protection program.
Pinto told the judges he was ”shocked and disgusted” by what he found in his hacking activities.
When he was extradited from Hungary, from where he hacked computers, to Portugal in 2015 to stand trial, Pinto was poised to enter a witness protection program in France, according to Pinto’s lawyers.
Pinto was granted amnesty for dozens of other crimes as part of a wider government decree giving pardons for lesser offenses that marked the visit to Portugal last month of Pope Francis.
In a second case against Pinto that still has to be tried, Portuguese prosecutors are accusing him of 377 hacking-related crimes.
That case could also take years to reach a verdict under the slow-moving Portuguese legal system.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (968)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Who was Francis Scott Key, whose namesake bridge fell? His poem became ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’
- Trump's bond is now $175 million in fraud case. Here's what the New York attorney general could do if he doesn't pay.
- Mississippi bill seeks casino site in capital city of Jackson
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Baltimore's Key Bridge collapses after ship hits it; construction crew missing: Live Updates
- Horoscopes Today, March 24, 2024
- Animal chaplains offer spiritual care for every species
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Robert Pattinson Is a Dad: See His and Suki Waterhouse's Journey to Parenthood
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- U.S. charges Chinese nationals in hacking scheme targeting politicians, businesses
- NYPD officer shot, killed during traffic stop in Queens by suspect with prior arrests
- An eclipse-themed treat: Sonic's new Blackout Slush Float available starting today
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Pennsylvania county joins other local governments in suing oil industry over climate change
- You'll Never Let Go of How Much The Titanic Door Just Sold for at Auction
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Spill the Tea
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Robert Pattinson Is a Dad: See His and Suki Waterhouse's Journey to Parenthood
Women's NCAA Tournament teams joining men's counterparts in Sweet 16 of March Madness
National monument on California-Oregon border will remain intact after surviving legal challenge
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after ship struck it, sending vehicles into water
Uber offering car seats for kids: Ride-share giant launches new program in 2 US cities
Supreme Court hears arguments Tuesday in case that could restrict access to abortion medication