Current:Home > NewsCIA Director William Burns returns to Qatar in push for broader hostage deal -Capitatum
CIA Director William Burns returns to Qatar in push for broader hostage deal
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:15:22
CIA Director William Burns returned to Qatar Tuesday for a new round of multiparty talks aimed at freeing more hostages kidnapped in Israel and held in Gaza, U.S. officials said. He is expected to meet in Doha alongside intelligence counterparts from Israel and Egypt as well as the Qatari prime minister, according to officials familiar with the matter.
Burns' visit, his second to Doha this month, is focused in part on building on an existing agreement in which dozens of hostages were released over a four-day pause in fighting in Gaza. Qatari officials announced Monday that the temporary pause had been extended for two days to facilitate the release of additional hostages and allow the entry of more humanitarian aid into Gaza. Israel also released 150 Palestinian women and children held in Israeli prisons — three for every one hostage— as part of the current deal. An updated deal could change the ratio of prisoner to hostage releases, according to people familiar with the talks.
U.S. and Israeli officials are also working now to broaden the categories of hostages to include men and soldiers, U.S. and regional diplomatic sources familiar with the matter said.
The CIA declined to comment on the director's travels or schedule, but a U.S. official said, "Director Burns is in Doha for meetings on the Israel-Hamas conflict, including discussions on hostages."
A former ambassador to Jordan, Burns was previously in Doha on Nov. 9 to help reinvigorate faltering talks alongside Israel's Mossad Director David Barnea and Qatari Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahaman Al Thani. The first deal was announced by the Qataris on Nov. 21, marking the first pause in fighting since the war began on Oct. 7.
One American hostage, four-year-old Abigail Idan, was among a group of 17 women and children released on Sunday by Hamas. Two American women were also on a list of hostages expected to be released, but U.S. officials did not have immediate updates on their status. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Monday the additional two-day pause could help facilitate the women's release, and that the U.S. believes there are "eight to nine" American hostages still being held in Gaza.
American officials including President Biden have called for longer pauses in fighting to facilitate the release of as many hostages as possible and for a more robust flow of aid into Gaza, where more than 14,000 civilians have been killed and more than 2 million Palestinians face increasingly dire humanitarian conditions, according to the Gaza Health Ministry.
Senior U.S. administration officials said Tuesday that more than 2,000 aid trucks had entered Gaza since Oct. 21 to deliver food, water, medical assistance and fuel; 800 trucks went in during the first four days of the current pause. Officials also said the U.S. military would begin relief flights into North Sinai in Egypt to deliver additional aid and resources for civilians in Gaza as winter approaches.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken is also expected to travel to Tel Aviv, the West Bank and Dubai later this week, senior State Department officials said, in what will be his third trip to the region since the conflict erupted. Yesterday Blinken held calls with his Egyptian and Qatari counterparts, in which he thanked them for helping broker the current hostage deal and reiterated commitments to minimize the civilian toll in Gaza.
Camilla Schick contributed reporting.
- In:
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Hamas
- Israel
veryGood! (39599)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Police search for suspected extremist accused of killing 2 Swedish soccer fans on a Brussels street
- Tennessee court to decide if school shooting families can keep police records from public release
- Montana judge keeps in place a ban on enforcement of law restricting drag shows, drag reading events
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- A 1981 DeLorean with only 977 miles on it was unearthed in a Wisconsin barn
- PG&E’s plan to bury power lines and prevent wildfires faces opposition because of high rates
- IOC president Thomas Bach has done enough damage. Don't give him time to do more.
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Suzanne Somers dies at 76: 'Three's Company' co-star Joyce DeWitt, husband Alan Hamel mourn actress
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- New Mexico governor: state agencies must switch to all-electric vehicle fleet by the year 2035
- As Biden heads to Israel and Jordan, aid is held up for a Gaza on the verge of total collapse
- Suzanne Somers' Husband Alan Hamel Details Final Moments Before Her Death
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Alex Murdaugh estate, Moselle, is back on the market for $1.95 million
- Gaza’s limited water supply raises concerns for human health
- Cowboys vs. Chargers Monday Night Football highlights: Dallas gets rebound win in LA
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan says U.S. working on safe passage of Americans out of Gaza into Egypt
A $1.4 million ticket for speeding? Georgia man shocked by hefty fine, told it's no typo
Georgia’s cash hoard approaches $11 billion after a third year of big surpluses
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Wisconsin Republicans admit vote to fire elections chief had no legal effect
Justice Barrett expresses support for a formal US Supreme Court ethics code in Minnesota speech
Man faces misdemeanor for twice bringing guns to Wisconsin state Capitol, asking to see governor