Current:Home > FinanceSenegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says -Capitatum
Senegalese opposition leader Sonko regains consciousness but remains on hunger strike, lawyer says
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 19:45:45
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — A lawyer for Senegalese opposition leader Ousmane Sonko said Thursday that the detained politician had regained consciousness but remains “in a very precarious condition” on hunger strike.
Sonko, a popular figure with young Senegalese who placed third in the last presidential election, first began refusing food after he was placed in detention in late July. He later suspended the protest measure following mediation but resumed a hunger strike on Oct. 17, according to lawyer Juan Branco.
Branco told The Associated Press that the opposition leader “is still being treated by a resuscitation team with the risk of a major relapse.” That assessment comes after Sonko’s supporters said earlier this week he had lapsed into a coma.
Sonko’s supporters believe the slew of criminal allegations brought against him since 2021 are part of an orchestrated campaign to derail his political aspirations ahead of a presidential election in February.
In June, Sonko was acquitted on charges of raping a woman who worked at a massage parlor and making death threats against her. But he was convicted of corrupting youth and sentenced to two years in prison, which ignited deadly protests across the country.
In late July, Senegalese authorities formally dissolved Sonko’s political party and placed him in detention. He is now facing charges of calling for insurrection, conspiracy against the state and other alleged crimes.
The government has not commented on Sonko’s health since August, when he was transferred to a hospital “presenting a general weakness linked to his refusal to eat.” He was later transferred to the intensive care unit for treatment before suspending his strike after the mediation effort.
Sonko was removed from the electoral roll by the Interior Ministry following his conviction. But this decision was overturned by a judge in the southern city of Ziguinchor, who ordered that he be allowed to have sponsorship forms for the presidential election in the same way as other candidates.
Sonko’s chances of taking part in the upcoming election are uncertain, as the Supreme Court has yet to rule on the decision taken by the judge of the Ziguinchor district court.
veryGood! (252)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- North Carolina lieutenant governor names new chief aide as staff departures grow
- Six months later, a $1.1 billion Mega Millions jackpot still hasn’t been claimed
- All the Country Couples Enjoying Date Night at the 2024 People’s Choice Country Awards
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Nebraska to become 17th Big Ten school to sell alcohol at football games in 2025 if regents give OK
- SpaceX Crew-9, the mission that will return Starliner astronauts, prepares for launch
- How RHOC's Shannon Beador Is Handling Ex John Jansson's Engagement to Her Costar Alexis Bellino
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- 2024 People's Choice Country Awards Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as Stars Arrive
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Takeaways on AP’s story about challenges to forest recovery and replanting after wildfires
- Costco Shuts Down Claim Diddy Bought Baby Oil From Them in Bulk
- 'Experienced climber' from New York dies after falling up to 400 feet while hiking in Colorado
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Judge orders US government to leave Wisconsin reservation roads open
- Mark Zuckerberg faces deposition in AI copyright lawsuit from Sarah Silverman and other authors
- The Surprising Way Today’s Dylan Dreyer Found Out About Hoda Kotb’s Departure
Recommendation
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Hurricane Helene's huge size ups a terrifying risk: Tornadoes
Macklemore clarifies remark made at pro-Palestine concert in Seattle: 'Sometimes I slip up'
Opinion: Derrick Rose made peace with 'what-ifs' during injury-riddled MVP career
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Menendez brothers' family slam 'grotesque' Netflix show 'Monsters' for 'outright falsehoods'
You Might’ve Missed Machine Gun Kelly’s Head-Turning Hair Transformation at the 2024 PCCAs
Prosecutors file sealed brief detailing allegations against Trump in election interference case