Current:Home > MyPolice have unserved warrant for Miles Bridges for violation of domestic violence protective order -Capitatum
Police have unserved warrant for Miles Bridges for violation of domestic violence protective order
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:55:47
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The Charlotte Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office says it has an unserved warrant for Hornets forward Miles Bridges for a violation of a domestic violence protective order, along with an unserved criminal summons for a domestic protective order violation, misdemeanor child abuse and injury to personal property.
The sheriff’s office told The Associated Press the warrant was issued in January, but has not yet been served. The criminal summons was issued on Wednesday.
According to WSOC-TV in Charlotte, the corresponding police report indicated the mother of Bridges’ two children had her windshield smashed in at her residence and that her protective order was violated by his appearance. The alleged incident happened at her residence, the station reported.
The AP was unable to obtain a copy of the police report Wednesday night.
The Hornets said in a statement Wednesday night they are aware of the reports and are in the process of gathering more information.
Messages left for Bridges' attorney were not immediately returned.
The 25-year-old Bridges is serving three years of probation after pleading no contest last November to one felony count of injuring a child’s parent, agreeing to do so in exchange for no jail time.
Bridges had been facing three felony charges — the one that he pleaded no contest to, and two others of child abuse under circumstances or conditions likely to cause great bodily injury or death. The charges stemmed from accusations that he assaulted his former girlfriend in front of their two children in June 2022, the Los Angeles County district attorney said.
Bridges, who was a restricted free agent at the time of the incident and likely to receive a contract in excess of $100 million, sat out the entire 2022-23 NBA season.
The NBA suspended Bridges for 30 games this season, but determined that 20 games would be dropped due to time already missed because he missed 82 games last year. Bridges will miss the first 10 games of the regular season.
He is not allowed to participate in preseason games.
In July, Bridges apologized for the “pain and embarrassment” caused by the domestic violence investigation. Bridges agreed to a one-year, $7.9 million contract with the Hornets to return this season and vowed to rebuild relationships with teammates and become more active in the Charlotte community.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- More U.S. school districts are shifting to a 4-day week. Here's why.
- Paramount to sell Simon & Schuster to private equity firm KKR for $1.62 billion
- Being in-between jobs is normal. Here's how to talk about it
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Don't have money for college? Use FAFSA to find some. Here's what it is and how it works.
- Ex-student accused in California stabbing deaths is mentally unfit for trial
- India’s opposition targets Modi in their no-confidence motion over ethnic violence in Manipur state
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 'Claim to Fame' castoff Hugo talks grandpa Jimmy Carter's health and dating a castmate
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Dillon County sheriff collapses and dies unexpectedly in his home
- What could break next?
- William Friedkin, Oscar-winning director of 'French Connection' and 'The Exorcist,' dies at 87
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Here's the truth about taking antibiotics and how they work
- Authorities assess damage after flooding from glacial dam outburst in Alaska’s capital
- Liberty freshman football player Tajh Boyd, 19, dies
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Elon Musk says his fight against Mark Zuckerberg will stream on X — but Zuck claps back
Usme leads Colombia to a 1-0 win over Jamaica and a spot in the Women’s World Cup quarterfinals
USA TODAY Sports AFCA Coaches Poll: Georgia No. 1, Michigan has highest preseason ranking
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $300 Tote Bag for Just $69
Crossings along U.S.-Mexico border jump as migrants defy extreme heat and asylum restrictions
A Florida man is charged with flooding an emergency room after attacking a nurse and stripping