Current:Home > reviewsCalifornia student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting -Capitatum
California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 09:21:11
VICTORVILLE, Calif. — An 18-year-old high school student has been arrested and charged after investigators discovered he was planning a school shooting in Southern California and researched police response times.
Sebastian Villasenor, of Eastvale, California, was charged Wednesday with multiple felony counts related to a planned attack on Ontario Christian High School in Ontario, California, a city about 46 miles east of Los Angeles, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office. The charges include five counts of attempted murder and one count of attempting to make criminal threats.
Villasenor was arrested on Feb. 10 after a classmate reported that the teen "had been showing signs of being fixated on school shootings and had access to weapons," Ontario Police Chief Michael Lorenz said at a news conference Wednesday.
"Thanks to the swift and thorough response of the Ontario Police Department, and the bravery of the student who voiced concerns, tragedy was avoided and potentially lives were saved," the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office said in a news release.
Police chief: Student 'obsessed with our response times'
Investigators found that Villasenor, who has no prior criminal record, "had every intention of carrying out a school shooting at the Ontario Christian High School," according to Lorenz.
Lorenz added that the teen was "obsessed" with school shootings and police response times. He also researched tactical supplies and was in the process of choosing a date for his attack.
"He was so obsessed with our response times that he Google mapped how far it would be from the Ontario Police Department for our response time to the school," Lorenz said.
Investigators believe Villasenor may have been planning a shooting around April 20, which is the anniversary of the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in Colorado that left 15 people dead, including the two shooters.
Guns in America:In US, celebrations can quickly become tragedies when violence erupts
Investigators discovered arsenal of weapons in teen's home
While searching Villasenor’s home, Lorenz said authorities collected "numerous weapons," including seven rifles, two revolvers, a handgun, and a shotgun along with more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
Although Villasenor didn’t have a "hit list," Lorenz said further investigation led police to believe that he was focusing on five students as intended victims and “contemplated” a sixth victim, based on interviews regarding his social interactions with the students.
All the victims were students at Ontario Christian High School, according to Lorenz.
Investigators determined that Villasenor wasn’t “bullied or harassed” but had difficulties “forming relationships with other students and in his social interactions.” Villasenor is in custody at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga.
He is ineligible for bail, sheriff’s records show. He was arraigned Thursday and pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to the district attorney’s office.
Contributing: The Associated Press
Follow Rene Ray De La Cruz on X @DP_ReneDeLaCruz
veryGood! (73385)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- 1.5 million apply for U.S. migrant sponsorship program with 30,000 monthly cap
- Andy Rourke, bass guitarist of The Smiths, dies at 59: We'll miss you brother
- Ulta 24-Hour Flash Sale: Take 50% Off Too Faced, Crepe Erase, Smashbox, Murad, Bobbi Brown, and Clinique
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Sephora 24-Hour Flash Sale: 50% Off Peter Thomas Roth and Too Faced
- Grimes Shares Update on the Name of Her and Elon Musk's Daughter
- Are you getting more voice notes these days? You're not alone
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- '9 Years of Shadows' Review: Symphony of the Light
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- The Fate of Grey's Anatomy Revealed
- 2 Rembrandts have been hidden in a private collection for 200 years. Now they're headed to auction.
- Reese Witherspoon and Husband Jim Toth Break Up After 11 Years of Marriage
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- T3 Hair Tools Sale Last Day: 65% Off Hair Dryers, Flat Irons, Hot Rollers, Curling Irons, and More
- Temporary ceasefire reached in Sudan fighting, U.S. says
- Jonathan Majors Denies Assaulting Woman After Being Arrested for Domestic Dispute
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Mae Whitman Reveals How Independence Day Co-Star Jeff Goldblum Inspired Her to Take New TV Role
People are trying to claim real videos are deepfakes. The courts are not amused
'Age of Wonders 4' Review: This Magical Mystery Game is Hoping to Take You Away
Bodycam footage shows high
Need to charge your phone? Think twice — 'juice jackers' might come for you
Google says it will start blocking Canadian news stories in response to new law
Have tech skills, will work. Why IT jobs remain hot despite mass layoffs