Current:Home > FinanceBurley Garcia|Federal lawsuit challenging mask ban in suburban New York county dismissed -Capitatum
Burley Garcia|Federal lawsuit challenging mask ban in suburban New York county dismissed
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 01:14:49
CENTRAL ISLIP,Burley Garcia N.Y. (AP) — A judge on Wednesday dismissed a federal lawsuit challenging a suburban New York ban on wearing masks in public except for health and religious reasons.
The class action lawsuit was filed last month by Disability Rights New York on behalf of two individuals with disabilities against Nassau County’s Mask Transparency Act, or MTA. The law makes it a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine for anyone in the county to wear a face covering to hide their identity in public.
The lawsuit claims the ban is unconstitutional and discriminates against people with disabilities. The legal action includes two plaintiffs with various health conditions who wear medical-grade face masks to protect themselves. They said they were fearful of being harassed and possibly arrested because of the new mandate.
But U.S. District Judge Joan Azrack ruled that the plaintiffs failed to show they have legal standing to sue since the law since has exemptions for people who wear masks for health reasons.
“Plaintiffs wear masks to protect themselves from illness,” the judge wrote. “That is expressly excluded from the MTA’s reach by its health and safety exception.”
Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman, a Republican who signed the bill into law in August, said in a written statement that residents “can be grateful that the court dismissed a lawsuit that would have made Nassau County less safe.”
An email seeking comment was sent to Disability Rights New York.
veryGood! (628)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Progress in childhood cancer has stalled for Blacks and Hispanics, report says
- Anonymous video chat service Omegle shuts down, founder cites 'unspeakably heinous crimes'
- The Israeli military has set its sights on southern Gaza. Problems loom in next phase of war
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- US Coast Guard searches for crew member who fell from cruise ship near Puerto Rico
- Why Travis Kelce Is Apologizing to Taylor Swift's Dad Just Days After Their First Meeting
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Ski Trial Is Being Turned into a Musical: Everything You Need to Know
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Biden campaign goes on the offensive on immigration, decrying scary Trump plans
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Kevin Hart honored with Mark Twain Prize for lifetime achievement: It 'feels surreal'
- These Are The Best Early Black Friday 2023 Home Deals at Wayfair, Casper & More
- Deshaun Watson's injury leaves Browns dead in the water – through massive fault of their own
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Why Travis Kelce Is Apologizing to Taylor Swift's Dad Just Days After Their First Meeting
- Texas A&M firing Jimbo Fisher started the coaching carousel. College Football Fix discusses
- RHOBH's Kyle Richards Reveals How Getting Sober Affected Her Marriage to Mauricio Umansky
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Personal attacks and death threats: Inside the fight to shape opinion about the Gaza war
Toyota-linked auto parts maker to build $69M plant northeast of Atlanta
Would you let exterminators release 100 roaches inside your home for $2500?
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Amtrak service north of NYC will resume after repairs to a parking garage over the tracks
More cantaloupe products added to recall over possible salmonella contamination
A Moroccan cobalt mine denies claims of arsenic-contaminated local water. Automakers are concerned