Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|North Korea fires suspected long-range ballistic missile into sea in resumption of weapons launches -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|North Korea fires suspected long-range ballistic missile into sea in resumption of weapons launches
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 07:48:15
SEOUL,Fastexy Exchange South Korea (AP) — North Korea fired a suspected long-range ballistic missile into the sea Monday in a resumption of its weapons testing activities, its neighbors said, as the North vows retaliatory steps against U.S. and South Korean moves to boost their nuclear deterrence plans.
South Korea’s military said in a statement that North Korea launched what appeared to be a long-range ballistic missile from its capital region Monday morning. It said South Korea maintain a readiness while exchanging information about the launch with U.S. and Japanese authorities.
Japan’s Defense Ministry said it also spotted a ballistic missile launch by North Korea. A ministry statement said that the missile was still in flight and that it was expected to land in waters outside the Japanese Exclusive Economic Zone.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters that he had so far received no report of injuries or damages from the missile launch and that he planned to hold a National Security Council meeting to discuss the test.
The launch came hours after South Korea reported North Korea conducted a short-range ballistic missile test into the sea Sunday night. It was the North’s first weapons launch in about a month.
Observers said the North’s back-to-back launches were likely a protest against the moves by South Korea and the United States to bolster their nuclear deterrence plans in the face of North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats.
Senior U.S. and South Korean officials met in Washington over the weekend and agreed to update their nuclear deterrence and contingency strategies and incorporate nuclear operation scenarios in their combined military exercises next summer.
On Sunday, North Korea’s Defense Ministry slammed its rivals’ move to include nuclear operation scenarios in their joint drills, describing it as an open threat to potentially use nuclear weapons against the North. It vowed to prepare unspecified “offensive countermeasures.”
“The armed forces of (North Korea) will thoroughly neutralize the U.S. and its vassal forces’ attempt to ignite a nuclear war,” the North Korean statement said. “Any attempt by the hostile forces to use armed force against (North Korea) will face a preemptive and deadly counteraction.”
Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans.
South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-based surveillance system.
South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, officials in Seoul said. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.
veryGood! (77)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Election 2024 Latest: Harris raised $310M in July, new poll finds few Americans trust Secret Service
- Simone Biles wins gold, pulls out GOAT necklace with 546 diamonds in it
- Olympian Kendall Ellis Got Stuck in a Porta Potty—& What Came Next Certainly Doesn't Stink
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Thousands were arrested at college protests. For students, the fallout was only beginning
- Sha'Carri Richardson wins her women's 100m opening heat with ease
- Police dog dies in hot car in Missouri after air conditioner malfunctioned
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Hyundai recalls nearly 50,000 of its newer models for airbag issues
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- IOC: Female boxers were victims of arbitrary decision by International Boxing Association
- General Hospital's Cameron Mathison Steps Out With Aubree Knight Hours After Announcing Divorce
- Babies R Us shops are rolling out in 200 Kohl's stores: See full list
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- 2 men sentenced for sexual assaults on passengers during separate flights to Seattle
- One Extraordinary (Olympic) Photo: Gregory Bull captures surfer battling waves in Tahiti
- Giant pandas return to nation's capital by end of year | The Excerpt
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Babies R Us shops are rolling out in 200 Kohl's stores: See full list
Only one thing has slowed golf's Xander Schauffele at Paris Olympics: Ants
Harvard appoints Alan Garber as president through 2026-27 academic year
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
As USC, UCLA officially join Big Ten, emails show dismay, shock and anger around move
Two women drowned while floating on a South Dakota lake as a storm blew in
Thousands were arrested at college protests. For students, the fallout was only beginning