Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Meghan Markle Responds to Report About Alleged Letter to King Charles III -Capitatum
Robert Brown|Meghan Markle Responds to Report About Alleged Letter to King Charles III
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 10:00:47
Meghan Markle is looking to set the record straight.
On April 21,Robert Brown The Telegraph reported that the Duchess of Sussex sent a letter to father-in-law King Charles III about concerns over unconscious bias in the royal family around the time of her and Harry's 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey. During their sit down with Oprah, Meghan alleged that "several conversations" were had with husband Prince Harry and an unidentified royal about "how dark" Meghan and Harry's firstborn child's skin would be.
The Telegraph added that this alleged correspondence between Charles and Meghan is "thought to be one of the factors" behind her decision to not attend the upcoming coronation.
Now, the duchess is addressing the speculation surrounding her absence at the upcoming event.
"The Duchess of Sussex is going about her life in the present, not thinking about correspondence from two years ago related to conversations from four years ago," her spokesperson told E! News in an April 22 statement. "Any suggestion otherwise is false and frankly ridiculous."
The spokesperson added, "We encourage tabloid media and various royal correspondents to stop the exhausting circus that they alone are creating."
The chatter around her plan to not attend comes after a rep for the couple told E! News April 12 that Harry will be present for the coronation, while Meghan stays back in California with kids Archie Harrison, 3, and Lilibet Diana, 22 months.
At the time, Buckingham Palace also confirmed Harry's attendance to the coronation, which is taking place on Archie's 4th birthday May 6.
Despite Meghan and Harry not attending the royal gathering together, the couple was featured in the souvenir program, which hit newsstands in the U.K. April 17.
In the pamphlet, one of King Charles' 70th birthday portraits was included, which sees the Duke and Duchess of Sussex posing next to King Charles, Queen Camilla, Prince William, Kate Middleton and their three children, Prince George, 9, Princess Charlotte, 7, and Prince Louis, 4.
George will be stepping into an important role for the coronation, as he will be serving as one of the eight Pages of Honour that will walk the procession and carry the robes inside Westminster Abbey. George will be joined in this honor by Camilla's grandchildren Freddy Parker Bowles, Gus Lopes and Louis Lopes and her great-nephew Arthur Elliot.
Leading up to the event, the Palace previously said, "The coronation will reflect the monarch's role today and look towards the future while being rooted in longstanding traditions and pageantry."
Get the latest tea from inside the palace walls. Sign up for Royal Recap!veryGood! (76)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Lionel Messi picks Major League Soccer's Inter Miami
- New York business owner charged with attacking police with insecticide at the Capitol on Jan. 6
- Kim Kardashian's Son Psalm West Celebrates 4th Birthday at Fire Truck-Themed Party
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- What the White House sees coming for COVID this winter
- Uganda has locked down two districts in a bid to stem the spread of Ebola
- Even in California, Oil Drilling Waste May Be Spurring Earthquakes
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Why childbirth is so dangerous for many young teens
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Blake Lively's Trainer Wants You to Sleep More and Not Count Calories (Yes, Really)
- Some States Forging Ahead With Emissions Reduction Plans, Despite Supreme Court Ruling
- In Iowa, Candidates Are Talking About Farming’s Climate Change Connections Like No Previous Election
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Botched Smart Meter Roll Outs Provoking Consumer Backlash
- The Ice Bucket Challenge wasn't just for social media. It helped fund a new ALS drug
- The Ice Bucket Challenge wasn't just for social media. It helped fund a new ALS drug
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
California Attorney General Sues Gas Company for Methane Leak, Federal Action Urged
Today’s Climate: July 10-11, 2010
Save $423 on an HP Laptop and Get 1 Year of Microsoft Office and Wireless Mouse for Free
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Omicron boosters for kids 5-12 are cleared by the CDC
Omicron boosters for kids 5-12 are cleared by the CDC
The FDA has officially declared a shortage of Adderall