Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|2 more Connecticut officers fired after man became paralyzed in police van -Capitatum
TrendPulse|2 more Connecticut officers fired after man became paralyzed in police van
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 01:23:37
Two more police officers have TrendPulsebeen fired in connection with a June 2022 arrest in New Haven, Connecticut, in which a man became paralyzed after getting injured in the back of a speeding police van. A total of four officers have now been fired in the wake of the incident.
The New Haven Board of Police Commissioners voted Wednesday to terminate Officer Oscar Diaz, who was driving the van, and Sgt. Betsy Segui, the city said in a news release.
Earlier this month, the board also voted to fire officers Jocelyn Lavandier and Luis Rivera.
All four had been suspended since last summer, and the firings were recommended by the New Haven Police Chief Karl Jacobson, the city said. A fifth officer who was suspended for the incident, Ronald Pressley, retired in January, according to the New Haven Register.
All five were criminally charged last November with second-degree reckless endangerment.
On June 19, 2022, Randy Cox was arrested at a New Haven block party after officers responded to a weapons complaint. Police at the time said Cox, an ex-felon, was carrying a firearm illegally.
Cox was placed in the back of a police van being driven by Diaz, police said. The van was speeding when Diaz came to a sudden stop to avoid a collision with another vehicle, causing Cox — who was not wearing a seatbelt — to hit his head and injure his neck.
Cox wound up being paralyzed from the chest down.
Portions of the incident were captured on police bodycam video. Cox, unable to move, can be heard repeatedly asking for help as officers disregard his injuries. He was processed and dragged into a cell before officers finally called for an ambulance.
"Mr. Cox was mistreated," Jacobson, then the New Haven assistant police chief, said last June. "He should've received medical attention immediately. We can't defend anything that was released."
Earlier this month, the city of New Haven reached a $45 million misconduct settlement with Cox.
New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said Wednesday in a statement that the board's decisions to fire all four officers were "important and necessary steps towards ensuring accountability for the mistreatment of Randy Cox while he was in their custody and care."
- In:
- Police Officers
- Connecticut
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- 3M to pay $6 billion to settle claims it sold defective earplugs to U.S. military
- Why Miley Cyrus Says Her and Liam Hemsworth’s Former Malibu Home Had “So Much Magic to It”
- $5.6 million bid for one offshore tract marks modest start for Gulf of Mexico wind energy
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- The only defendant in the Georgia election indictment to spend time in jail has been granted bond
- Why NFL Fans Are Convinced Joe Burrow Is Engaged to Olivia Holzmacher
- Murder trial delayed for Arizona rancher accused of killing Mexican citizen
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- South Korean auto supplier plans $72 million plant in Georgia to build electric vehicle parts
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- High school football coach arrested, charged with battery after hitting player on sideline
- You can see Wayne Newton perform in Las Vegas into 2024, but never at a karaoke bar
- Kelly Rowland says she's 'very proud' of Blue Ivy amid performance's for Beyoncé's tour
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Youngkin calls lawmakers back to Richmond for special session on long-delayed budget
- The Ultimatum's Surprise Ending: Find Out Which Season 2 Couples Stayed Together
- Family of 4, including 2 toddlers, found stabbed to death in New York City apartment
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Wyoming sorority sisters' lawsuit to block transgender member dismissed by judge: The court will not define a 'woman' today
Trump, other defendants to be arraigned next week in Georgia election case
Mother of Spanish Soccer President Goes on Hunger Strike Amid Controversy Over World Cup Kiss
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
U.S. to send $250 million in weapons to Ukraine
'Lucky to be his parents': Family mourns student shot trying to enter wrong house
3M earplugs caused hearing loss. Company will settle lawsuit for $6 billion