Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Alec Baldwin seeks dismissal of grand jury indictment in fatal shooting of cinematographer -Capitatum
Poinbank:Alec Baldwin seeks dismissal of grand jury indictment in fatal shooting of cinematographer
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 22:09:28
SANTA FE,Poinbank N.M. (AP) — Defense attorneys for Alec Baldwin urged a New Mexico judge on Thursday to dismiss a grand jury indictment against the actor in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of the Western movie “Rust.”
The indictment in January charged Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Oct. 21, 2021, at a movie ranch on the outskirts of Santa Fe.
Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to the charge. His attorneys in a new court filing accused prosecutors of “unfairly stacking the deck” against Baldwin in grand jury proceedings that diverted attention away from exculpatory evidence and witnesses.
They say that prevented the jury from asserting their obligation to hear testimony from director Joel Souza, who was wounded in the shooting while standing near Hutchins, as well as assistant director and safety coordinator Dave Halls and props master Sarah Zachry.
“The grand jury did not receive the favorable or exculpatory testimony and documents that the state had an obligation to present,” said the court motion signed by defense attorney Luke Nikas. “Nor was the grand jury told it had a right to review and the obligation to request this information.”
Prosecutor Kari Morrissey declined to comment and said a response will be filed with the court.
Baldwin’s motion also asserts that the grand jury received inaccurate and one-sided testimony about the revolver involved in the fatal shooting.
“Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was convicted by a jury last week in the shooting and is being held without bond pending an April sentencing hearing. Involuntary manslaughter carries a felony sentence of up to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine.
Baldwin was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins when the revolver went off, killing Hutchins and injuring Souza. Baldwin has maintained that he pulled back the gun’s hammer, but not the trigger.
Prosecutors blamed Gutierrez-Reed at a two-week trial for unwittingly bringing live ammunition onto the set of “Rust” where it was expressly prohibited. They also said she failed to follow basic gun-safety protocols.
Halls last year pleaded no contest to negligent handling of a firearm and completed a sentence of six months of unsupervised probation.
Baldwin is scheduled for trial in July.
veryGood! (25575)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Federal investigators will look into fatal New York crash of a bus carrying high school students
- Nevada Republicans brace for confusion as party eyes election rules that may favor Trump
- Cyprus calls on the EU to rethink Syrian safe zones for eventually repatriating Syrian migrants
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- North Korea’s Kim sets forth steps to boost Russia ties as US and Seoul warn about weapons deals
- Targeted strikes may spread to other states and cities as midday deadline set by auto workers nears
- Surgeons perform second pig heart transplant, trying to save a dying man
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Fake emails. Text scams. These are the AI tools that can help protect you.
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Australia’s government posts $14.2 billion budget surplus after 15 years in the red
- Guantanamo judge rules 9/11 defendant unfit for trial after panel finds abuse rendered him psychotic
- Pakistani authorities arrest journalist for allegedly spreading false news about state institutions
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The fight over Arizona’s shipping container border wall ends with dismissal of federal lawsuits
- Lawn mowers and equipment valued at $100,000 stolen from parking lot at Soldier Field
- Here's one potential winner from the UAW strike: Non-union auto workers in the South
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
US wage growth is finally outpacing inflation. Many Americans aren't feeling it.
Iowa man disappears on the day a jury finds him guilty of killing his wife
Cyprus calls on the EU to rethink Syrian safe zones for eventually repatriating Syrian migrants
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Eagles' A.J. Brown on 'sideline discussion' with QB Jalen Hurts: We're not 'beefing'
US Department of State worker charged with sharing top-secret intel with African nation
Illinois’ Signature Climate Law Has Been Slow to Fulfill Promises for Clean Energy and Jobs