Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Mystik Dan to the Preakness? Kenny McPeek provides update on Kentucky Derby 150 winner -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Mystik Dan to the Preakness? Kenny McPeek provides update on Kentucky Derby 150 winner
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:46:27
Kenny McPeek is Charles H. Sloanstill mulling whether he'll enter Kentucky Derby 150 winner Mystik Dan in the Preakness Stakes.
A decision could come as early as this weekend or as late as Monday, before post positions are drawn at 5:30 p.m. for the $2 million, Grade 1 race on May 18 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore.
It hinges on how the son of Goldencents is moving and eating.
"An old guy told me a long time ago, 'Never make a decision until you absolutely, positively have to,'" the trainer said Wednesday morning, after Mystik Dan worked at Churchill Downs for the first time since the Run for the Roses.
"I know that's frustrating for you all — you want me to decide now — but what if I change my mind?" he added. "I really don't usually make a decision on any horse that I train until I open the condition book."
Mystik Dan jogged a mile and galloped a little more than a mile Wednesday morning. McPeek said the horse is "doing great" and will likely gallop 1 3/8 miles Thursday, Friday and Saturday before a decision is made regarding the Preakness.
"If he's healthy, we're not scared to go," the trainer said. "If we feel like that he needs more time, we'll give it to him.
"It's all gray; there is no black and white."
Last Sunday, during a celebratory media availability at his barn, McPeek recalled how racing Mystik Dan twice in a 13-day span as a 2-year-old "backfired" on him.
The horse developed a lung infection. McPeek doesn't want that to happen again, so he said there's a chance he'll scope him after this weekend's work.
As for the short turnaround for the Preakness, the trainer said it's "not that big (of) a deal."
"I'm not scared to do that; so we'll see," he added. "We'll let him tell us."
But McPeek did say, if it were up to him, he'd change the Triple Crown schedule so the second and third legs are held on the first Saturday of June and the first Saturday of July, respectively; especially considering concerns over horse safety.
"You've got to align three large organizations to agree to that, but I think that you'd get continuity for the horses," he said, predicting it would lead to more Kentucky Derby participants competing in all three races.
Of McPeek's nine previous Kentucky Derby horses, only two have run in the Preakness — Tejano Run (1995) and Harlan's Holiday (2002). None have carried the weight of Triple Crown aspirations like Mystik Dan, however.
"We're not taking that lightly at all," he said.
This year's Grade 1 Belmont Stakes will be held June 8 at Saratoga Race Course due to ongoing renovations at Belmont Park.
On Sunday, Mystik Dan co-owner Lance Gasaway told reporters the connections don't want to enter the Preakness just because.
"We want to win," he said.
Gasaway said it would be "a big ask" of Mystik Dan considering a majority of the horses vying to be in the field of 14 did not run in the Kentucky Derby.
Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, whose suspension from Churchill kept him out of the Run for the Roses, could have two contenders in Baltimore. They are Muth, who won the Grade 1 Arkansas Derby in March, and Imagination, who finished second in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby last month.
McPeek on Wednesday said Baffert was one of roughly 2,000 people who have called or texted him since he became just the third trainer (and the first since 1952) to hit the Kentucky Oaks/Derby double last weekend.
"He was thrilled for me," McPeek said.
Whether they square off at Pimlico is still to be determined. But with Mystik Dan, McPeek said he doesn't fear anyone — "even Muth."
It all comes down to making sure the colt is 100% ready for the challenge.
With 18-1 odds and jockey Brian Hernandez Jr. aboard, Mystik Dan held off late charges from Sierra Leone and Forever Young to emerge victorious in a photo finish, the Kentucky Derby's first involving three horses since 1947, by a nose.
veryGood! (932)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Jury finds Wisconsin woman guilty of poisoning friend with eye drops
- Oklahoma Supreme Court keeps anti-abortion laws on hold while challenge is pending
- Dubai International Airport, world’s busiest, on track to beat 2019 pre-pandemic passenger figures
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Albania proposes a draft law on a contentious deal with Italy to jointly process asylum applications
- Repairs to arson damage on I-10 in Los Angeles will take weeks; Angelenos urged to 'work together' during commute disruption
- 1 woman in critical condition a day after knife attack at Louisiana Tech University
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Ohio interstate crash involving busload of high school students leaves 6 dead, 18 injured
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Landlord arrested after 3 people found stabbed to death in New York City home
- Asian economies must ramp up wind and solar power to keep global warming under 1.5C, report says
- Colorado supermarket shooting suspect pleads not guilty by reason of insanity
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Whitney Port Shares Her Surrogate Suffered 2 Miscarriages
- Israeli soccer team captain displays shoe of kidnapped child ahead of qualifying match in Hungary
- Work resumes at Montana mine where 24-year-old worker was killed in machinery accident
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Armenian leader snubs summit of Moscow-led security alliance
8 teenagers arrested on murder charges after Las Vegas boy, 17, beaten by mob
A suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide goes on trial in Paris after a decadeslong investigation
Bodycam footage shows high
USPS leaders forecast it would break even this year. It just lost $6.5 billion.
Glen Powell Addresses Alleged Affair With Costar Sydney Sweeney
Ohio interstate crash involving busload of high school students leaves 6 dead, 18 injured