Current:Home > Scams2 detectives found safe after disappearing while investigating Mexico's 2014 case of missing students -Capitatum
2 detectives found safe after disappearing while investigating Mexico's 2014 case of missing students
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 11:33:33
Two federal detectives have been found unharmed after they went missing in Mexico's Pacific coast state of Guerrero while investigating the disappearances of 43 students almost 10 years ago.
Officials did not say Tuesday how the man and woman were found or whether they had been freed from captivity.
President Andrés Manuel López Obrador mentioned their disappearances over the weekend at his daily news briefing, noting, "I hope this is not related to those who do not want us to find the youths."
The disappearances were the latest sign of what appeared to be a generalized breakdown in law and order in Guerrero state, home to the resort of Acapulco. The state has been dogged for a decade by the disappearances of 43 students from a rural teachers' college in Guerrero in 2014 who are believed to have been abducted by local officials and turned over to a drug gang to be killed.
Students at that college, located in Tixtla, north of Acapulco, have a long history of demonstrating and clashing with police, and last week a student was shot to death in what police said was a confrontation with students riding in a stolen car.
One of the police officers involved in that shooting had been detained and placed under investigation in the case, after the president described the shooting as "an abuse of authority" and confirmed the dead student had not fired any gun.
But López Obrador acknowledged Tuesday that the state police officer detained in the case had escaped from state custody before being turned over to federal prosecutors.
The president suggested that Guerrero state police had not properly guarded their colleague, saying arrest "protocols had not been followed."
Adding to the confusion, the state prosecutors' office denied Tuesday that the officer had ever been in custody.
And there was little evidence that the president's pledges to investigate last week's shooting - or the fate of the missing 43 - would placate the students' traditionally violent protests.
On Tuesday, student demonstrators broke into state prosecutors' offices in Chilpancingo, the capital of Guerrero state, set off explosives and burned 11 police patrol vehicles. The prosecutors' office said four of its employees were injured.
Guerrero is among six states in Mexico that the U.S. State Department advises Americans to completely avoid, citing crime and violence. "Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero," the State Department says in its travel advisory.
The 43 missing male students are believed to have been killed and burned by drug gang members. The two detectives who disappeared this week were part of a years-long effort to find where the students' remains had been dumped. López Obrador did not specify when the detectives disappeared.
In 2022, federal agents arrested former Attorney General Jesus Murillo Karam, who oversaw the original investigation.
Authorities have been able to identify burned bone fragments of only three of the 43 missing students. The work largely involves searching for clandestine body dumping grounds in rural, isolated parts of the state where drug cartels are active. In October, officials conducted DNA tests to determine if some of the students were among 28 charred bodies found in freshly covered mass graves.
So dominant are the drug cartels in Guerrero that videos posted on social media this week showed drug gang enforcers brutally beating bus drivers in Acapulco for failing to act as lookouts for the cartel.
One video showed a presumed gang enforcer dealing more than a dozen hard, open-hand slaps to a driver and calling him an "animal," and demanding he check in several times a day with the gang.
In testimony before a U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee this week, the U.S. Director of National Intelligence, Avril Haines, acknowledged "there are parts of the country that are effectively under the control of the cartels in certain respects."
The escape of the accused police officer and the temporary disappearance of the two detectives came as tensions flared between López Obrador and the families of the missing students, who accuse him of not doing enough to investigate the fate of their sons.
Last week, protesters supporting the missing students' families used a commandeered pickup truck to ram down the wooden doors of Mexico City's National Palace, where López Obrador lives and works.
The protesters battered down the doors and entered the colonial-era palace before they were driven off by security agents.
López Obrador called the protests a provocation, and claimed the demonstrators had sledgehammers, powerful slingshots and blowtorches. López Obrador has complained about the involvement of human rights groups, who he claimed have prevented him from speaking directly to the parents of the missing students.
- In:
- Mexico
- Missing Persons
- Cartel
veryGood! (931)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Kenya court strikes out key clauses of a finance law as economic woes deepen from rising public debt
- Emirati-designated COP28 leader forcefully denies report UAE wanted to seek oil deals in summit
- WWE Hall of Famer Tammy ‘Sunny’ Sytch sentenced to 17 years in prison for fatal DUI crash
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- British inquiry finds serious failings at hospitals where worker had sex with more than 100 corpses
- Margot Robbie Proves She's Still in Barbie Mode With Doll-Inspired Look
- Great Lakes tribes teach 'water is life.’ But they’re forced to fight for its protection
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Ransomware attack prompts multistate hospital chain to divert some emergency room patients elsewhere
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- All The Only Ones: I can't wait
- Dashcam video shows 12-year-old Michigan boy taking stolen forklift on joyride, police say
- Dashcam video shows 12-year-old Michigan boy taking stolen forklift on joyride, police say
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Ex-prison guard gets 3 years for failing to help sick inmate who later died
- GOP impeachment effort against Philadelphia prosecutor lands before Democratic-majority court
- Young man gets life sentence for Canada massage parlor murder that court declared act of terrorism
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Busch Gardens sinkhole spills millions of gallons of wastewater, environmental agency says
'No words': Julia Roberts' shares touching throwback photo as twins turn 19 years old
Host of upcoming COP28 climate summit UAE planned to use talks to make oil deals, BBC reports
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Ransomware attack prompts multistate hospital chain to divert some emergency room patients elsewhere
X loses revenue as advertisers halt spending on platform over Elon Musk's posts
Suspect in Philadelphia triple stabbing shot by police outside City Hall