Current:Home > InvestSicily Yacht Victims Died of "Dry Drowning" After Running Out of Oxygen in the Cabin -Capitatum
Sicily Yacht Victims Died of "Dry Drowning" After Running Out of Oxygen in the Cabin
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 09:31:10
More information has been shared on the deaths of the Sicily yacht victims.
The initial autopsies of four of the seven victims who died when the Bayesian yacht sank last month—cook Recaldo Thomas, spouses Christopher Morvillo and Neda Morvillo, Morgan Stanley International Chairman Jonathan Bloomer and his wife Judy Bloomer as well as tech mogul Mike Lynch and his daughter Hannah—have revealed they died of “dry drowning,” CNN reported, citing authorities.
The finding suggests, per CNN citing local media reports, that these four victims—couples Christopher and Neda as well as Jonathan and Judy, per officials—had found an air bubble in the cabin in which they were found and had consumed all the oxygen before the air pocket turned toxic due to carbon dioxide.
The outlet further cited reports saying the autopsies for Mike and his 18-year-old daughter are likely to be carried out Sept. 6, while the autopsy for chef Recaldo is on hold due to difficulty in reaching his family in Antigua.
E! News has reached out to the public prosecutor's office of Termini Imerese, which assigned the autopsies, as well as the Institute of Forensic Medicine of the Policlinico for comment but has not yet heard back.
It was previously confirmed that spouses Christopher and Neda died together, Italian news organization ANSA confirmed Sept. 2, and that the autopsies exhibited “no signs of trauma” and there are “no other causes linked” to their deaths.
At the time of its Aug. 19 sinking, the 184-foot Bayesian yacht had 22 people aboard in total, including 12 guests and 10 crew members. The sinking, which has been described by maritime experts as anomalous, occurred due to harsh weather conditions, including a waterspout, Salvo Cocina of Sicily's civil protection agency told NBC News.
As Salvo noted of the ship, “They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
In the weeks following the tragedy, captain James Cutfield has been placed under investigation for manslaughter following the incident, as confirmed by his lawyer Giovanni Rizzuti to NBC News. However, that does not mean he will face charges.
As NBC News noted, being placed under investigation in Italy does not imply guilt and does not guarantee formal charges will follow. Instead, notices need to be sent to people under investigation before authorities could carry out autopsies.
One of the survivors of the sinking Charlotte Golunski—who survived alongside her partner James Emsley and her 12-month-old daughter Sophie—previously detailed the terrifying moment the ship was hit by the storm. "
For two seconds, I lost my daughter in the sea, then quickly hugged her amid the fury of the waves," she told Italian newspaper La Repubblica one day after the accident, per the BBC. "It was all dark. In the water I couldn't keep my eyes open. I screamed for help but all I could hear around me was the screams of others."
(E! News and NBC News are part of NBCUniversal.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (7129)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- North Carolina officer fatally shoots man suspected of killing other man
- A bitcoin halving is imminent. Here's what that means.
- Mandisa, Grammy-winning singer and American Idol alum, dead at 47
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Banana Republic Factory Has Summer Staples For Days & They're All Up To 60% Off
- Longtime AP journalist, newspaper publisher John Brewer dies at age 76
- Taylor Swift’s New PDA Video With Travis Kelce Puts Their Alchemy on Display
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Iraq investigates a blast at a base of Iran-allied militias that killed 1. US denies involvement
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Iraq investigates a blast at a base of Iran-allied militias that killed 1. US denies involvement
- Nikola Jokic leads NBA champ Denver Nuggets past LeBron James and Lakers 114-103 in playoff opener
- NHL playoffs schedule today: Times, TV for Islanders vs. Hurricanes, Maple Leafs vs. Bruins
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Video shows space junk after object from ISS came crashing through Florida home
- Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia: Predictions, how to watch Saturday's boxing match in Brooklyn
- Why FedEx's $25 million NIL push is 'massive step forward' for Memphis Tigers sports
Recommendation
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Tennessee schools would have to out transgender students to parents under bill heading to governor
Former champion Jinder Mahal leaves WWE, other stars surprisingly released on Friday
Mark Zuckerberg Reacts to His Photoshopped Thirst Trap Photo
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Senate passes reauthorization of key US surveillance program after midnight deadline
Why Sam Taylor-Johnson and Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Romance Is Still Fifty Shades of Passionate
New Starbucks cups reduce plastic and water waste while bettering accessibility to the visually impaired