Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Saudi Arabia becomes sole bidder for 2034 World Cup after Australia drops out -Capitatum
EchoSense:Saudi Arabia becomes sole bidder for 2034 World Cup after Australia drops out
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 10:36:17
Football Australia has announced it will not be EchoSensehosting the 2034 World Cup, hours before FIFA's deadline for bids passed — paving the way for Saudi Arabia to do so.
"We have explored the opportunity to bid to host the FIFA World Cup and – having taken all factors into consideration – we have reached the conclusion not to do so for the 2034 competition," a statement from the country's sports governing body read.
Instead, Football Australia will focus on hosting the AFC Women's Asian Cup 2026 as well as the 2029 FIFA Club World Cup.
"For international tournament hosting, the Australian time zones provide significant opportunities for broadcasters, and we are within touching distance of billions of people in Asia and Oceania, which also helps to provide a strong commercial outlook for competitions," Football Australia said.
FIFA had previously announced that the tournament would take place in either Asia or Oceania and Tuesday was the last day for countries to submit a bid. Australia's decision to pull out leaves Saudi Arabia as the only declared candidate.
The Gulf country has made its interest in hosting the 2034 tournament well-known, getting support from members of the Asian Football Confederation, including Indonesia, Uzbekistan, Lebanon, India and Japan, reported The Associated Press earlier this month.
"Japan has a plan to host the FIFA World Cup by 2050 but now it's time for Asia to get united and make a single bid [for 2034]," Japanese federation official Tsuneyasu Miyamoto said, praising Saudi Arabia for a "long football history, massive passion and a wonderful vision for 2034."
Despite such strong support, Saudi Arabia will likely be viewed as a controversial host, with human rights organizations preemptively decrying the move.
Human Rights Watch published a post on its website last week, decrying the possible — now likely — 2034 host.
"The possibility that FIFA could award Saudi Arabia the 2034 World Cup despite its appalling human rights record and closed door to any monitoring exposes Fifa's commitments to human rights as a sham," said Minky Worden, director of global initiatives.
On Tuesday, Amnesty International pushed for "human rights commitments" with any potential hosts before a final decision is made.
"FIFA must now make clear how it expects hosts to comply with its human rights policies," Steve Cockburn, the charity's head of economic and social justice, said. "It must also be prepared to halt the bidding process if serious human rights risks are not credibly addressed.
"The best chance for FIFA to obtain binding guarantees to protect workers' rights, ensure freedom of expression and prevent discrimination linked to the World Cup is during the host selection process — not after the hosts have been confirmed and tournament preparation has begun."
The country draws frequent criticism for its prolific use of the death penalty, executing 147 people last year, according to an AFP tally. Eighty-one people were put to death on a single day for offenses related to "terrorism," sparking an international outcry.
The 2018 killing of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the Saudi government, hurt the country's reputation.
Michael RoppoloMichael Roppolo is a CBS News reporter. He covers a wide variety of topics, including science and technology, crime and justice, and disability rights.
TwitterveryGood! (26)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- NFL preseason games Thursday: Matchups, times, how to watch and what to know
- Jennifer Lopez Debuts Blonde Highlights in Must-See Transformation
- Man accused of beating goose to death with golf club at New York golf course, officials say
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- In a rebuke to mayor, New Orleans puts a historic apartment out of her reach and into commerce
- Former residents of a New Hampshire youth center demand federal investigation into abuse claims
- South Korea runs first civil defense drills in years, citing North Korea's missile provocations
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Michigan teen’s death fueled anti-vaccine rhetoric. We got CDC’s investigative report.
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Bachelor Nation's Hannah Godwin Details Marrying Best Friend Dylan Barbour
- Schutz Seasonal Sale: Save Up to 60% On Ankle Boots, Lace-Up Boots & More Fall Must-Haves
- 'Hawaii is one family': Maui wildfire tragedy ripples across islands
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg stamp to be unveiled at U.S. Postal Service ceremony
- Attention road trippers! These apps play vacation planner, make life on the road a dream
- US sues SpaceX for alleged hiring discrimination against refugees and others
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Takeaways of AP report on sexual misconduct at the CIA
Former USC star Reggie Bush files defamation lawsuit against NCAA: It's about truth
Uber raises minimum age for most California drivers to 25, saying insurance costs are too high
Sam Taylor
These are 5 ways surging mortgage rates are reshaping the housing market
'And Just Like That...' finale review: Season 2 ends with bizarre Kim Cattrall cameo
New flame retardants found in breast milk years after similar chemicals were banned