Current:Home > InvestPrince Harry will appeal to ministers to obtain evidence for lawsuit against UK publisher -Capitatum
Prince Harry will appeal to ministers to obtain evidence for lawsuit against UK publisher
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 01:23:38
LONDON — Prince Harry's battles with British tabloids are taking a detour from London courts to the halls of government as he seeks evidence from a decade-old inquiry that is central to his phone hacking lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail, his lawyer said Tuesday.
The Duke of Sussex and celebrities such as Elton John and actor Elizabeth Hurley, who are suing Associated Newspapers Ltd., want to use documents that were disclosed confidentially to a government inquiry into a scandal involving journalists who eavesdropped on voicemails of celebrities, politicians and even murder victims.
An attorney for Harry and the celebrities said he would ask government ministers to revoke or amend a previous order that restricted publication of records of payments to private detectives who allegedly bugged phones and used listening devices to illegally snoop on his clients.
The newspapers deny the claims.
Earlier this month, Justice Matthew Nicklin rejected the Mail's attempt to throw out the case without trial, but also ruled the claimants could not use evidence that had been leaked from the inquiry. The judge said payment ledgers had been turned over in confidence to the Leveson inquiry and were therefore inadmissible without a change in the order restricting their release.
The lawsuit is one of several brought by Harry in his personal mission to tame the tabloids. He blames the media for the death of his mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a car crash in Paris in 1997 while being pursued by paparazzi. He also said the aggressive press led him and his wife, Meghan, to abandon their royal duties and decamp to the U.S.
It's his third lawsuit against newspaper publishers to get the green light to go to trial on similar allegations.
Judge says Daily Mail publisher failed to deliver a 'knockout blow' in the case
Another judge is currently weighing whether to award Harry damages against the publisher of the Daily Mirror for using skulduggery to dig up dirt on his life. A similar case is to be scheduled for trial next year involving claims he and actor Hugh Grant have brought against The Sun.
Associated Newspapers declined to voluntarily disclose the evidence, so attorney David Sherborne said Harry and other claimants would ask government ministers who ordered the 2011 phone hacking inquiry to amend or revoke the orders.
The hearing Tuesday in the High Court was largely focused on how to award what the judge said could be record-breaking legal fees at this stage in the case for the previous round of arguments in court.
Nicklin said the Duke of Sussex and his fellow claimants were due legal fees because the publisher had been "wholly unsuccessful" and failed to deliver a "knockout blow" in its effort to throw out the case.
Next hearing in the case will take place in March
Claimants spent 1.7 million ($2.1 million) pounds to prevail against the publisher's failed attempt to get the case dismissed, Sherborne said. The publisher is seeking up to 755,000 pounds ($945,000) in fees used to successfully block the use of the evidence from the Leveson inquiry.
Associated Newspapers attorney Adrian Beltrami said use of the ledgers was a breach of confidentiality obligations and that Harry's lawyers had "acted tactically and cynically in seeking to use such illegitimately obtained information to support their speculative claims."
Nicklin said he didn't want to award the fees without further review and ordered another hearing in March."I'm interested in better justice, not rough and ready justice," Nicklin said.
Other parties to the case are actor Sadie Frost; Elton John's husband, David Furnish; anti-racism advocate Doreen Lawrence and former politician Simon Hughes.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Travis Kelce says NFL overdoing Taylor Swift coverage
- 'Drew Barrymore Show' head writers decline to return after host's strike controversy
- German prosecutors are investigating whether a leader of the far-right AfD party was assaulted
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Invasive snails that can be deadly to humans found in North Carolina
- Simone Biles pushes U.S. team to make gymnastics history, then makes some of her own
- Failure of single component caused Washington seaplane crash that killed 10, NTSB says
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Michael Jordan Makes History as His Net Worth Reaches $3 Billion
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- 2 pollsters killed, 1 kidnapped in Mexico; cartel message reportedly left with victims
- 2 divers found dead hours apart off Massachusetts beach
- The McRib returns: Here are the ingredients that make up the iconic sandwich
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- A mobile clinic parked at a Dollar General? It says a lot about rural health care
- Jason Derulo Accused of Sexual Harassment by Singer Emaza Gibson
- Kim Zolciak Calls 911 on Kroy Biermann Over Safety Fears Amid Divorce
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Mysterious injury of 16-year-old Iranian girl not wearing a headscarf in Tehran’s Metro sparks anger
Paris is having a bedbug outbreak. Here's expert advice on how to protect yourself while traveling.
Woman murdered by Happy Face serial killer identified after 29 years, police say
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Sam Bankman-Fried stole at least $10 billion, prosecutors say in fraud trial
Reprieve for New Orleans as salt water creeping up the Mississippi River slows its march inland
What causes high cholesterol and why it matters