Current:Home > StocksBlue Origin shoots 6 tourists into space after nearly 2-year hiatus: Meet the new astronauts -Capitatum
Blue Origin shoots 6 tourists into space after nearly 2-year hiatus: Meet the new astronauts
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 09:21:43
Six tourists shot into the edge of space and became astronauts early Sunday following a nearly two-year layoff after a previous failed uncrewed test flight by the space exploration company Blue Origin.
The scheduled New Shepard flight blasted off at 9:36 a.m. local time from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos' Launch Site One about 30 miles north of the town of Van Horn in Culberson County. The facilities are on a private ranch in West Texas.
"A successful crewed mission in the books. #NS25," the NASA-awarded company posted on X just after the rocket lifted off.
The rocket, which flies cargo and humans on short trips to the edge of space, has been grounded since a fall 2022 mission failed in Texas about a minute after liftoff, forcing the rocket's capsule full of NASA experiments to eject mid-flight, according to The El Paso Times, part of the USA TODAY Network.
No injuries were reported when the rocket crashed back to earth, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said in a statement, before announcing it would open an investigation in the incident.
Who was the crew on the Blue Origin launch?
"New Shepard has now flown 37 people into space, including today’s crew," the company posted on its website Sunday after the launch.
The NS-25 mission the company's seventh flight to date included the following crew: Mason Angel, Sylvain Chiron, Ken Hess, Carol Schaller, and Gopi Thotakura and former Air Force Captain Ed Dwight, the first Black astronaut candidate in the United States.
'Forever changed'
"Forever changed," a video posted by Blue Origin on X is captioned, showing the crew unbuckle and float at one point during the mission.
While at zero gravity, some members of the crew toss a hockey puck back and forth, others high five and some spin in circles, the footage shows.
x.com
“A big thank you to our astronaut customers for the opportunity to provide this life-changing experience,” New Shepard Senior Vice President Phil Joyce said in a statement released by Blue Origin. “Each of you are pioneers helping to advance our mission to build a road to space for the benefit of Earth.”
Last year the FAA closed a review of the New Shepard investigation and required Blue Origin to make nearly two dozen corrections before a future mission, including an engine redesign and organizational shifts.
For more information about flying on New Shepard visit BlueOrigin.com.
Contributing: Maria Cortez Gonzalez with the El Paso Times and Jamie Groh and Rick Neale with Florida Today.
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (64)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Woman whose husband killed his 5-year-old daughter granted parole for perjury
- Kentucky high school evacuated after 'fart spray' found in trash cans, officials say
- Here's how much you need to earn to live comfortably in major U.S. cities
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Cole Brauer becomes 1st American woman to race sailboat alone and nonstop around world
- Tennessee lawmakers propose changes to how books get removed from school libraries
- Law-abiding adults can now carry guns openly in South Carolina after governor approves new law
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Kristin Cavallari Shares the Signs She Receives From Her Brother 8 Years After His Death
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Proposed transmission line for renewable power from Canada to New England canceled
- Feds investigating suspected smuggling at Wisconsin prison, 11 workers suspended in probe
- For Kevin James, all roads lead back to stand-up
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Watch as onboard parachute saves small plane from crashing into Washington suburb
- Camila Cabello opens up about reconciling with ex-boyfriend Shawn Mendes: 'It was a fun moment'
- 'A lot of fun with being diabolical': Theo James on new Netflix series 'The Gentlemen'
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Are you moving? Don't forget your change of address. Here's how to easily swap info.
Three men arrested at Singapore Eras Tour accused of distracting security to sneak fans in
Baldwin touts buy-American legislation in first Senate re-election campaign TV ad
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Where to find Stanley Easter tumblers now that they've sold out
Baltimore to pay $275k in legal fees after trying to block far-right Catholic group’s 2021 rally
NBA announces the Phoenix Suns will host the 2027 All-Star game