Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Migrant families begin leaving NYC hotels as first eviction notices kick in -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Migrant families begin leaving NYC hotels as first eviction notices kick in
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:36:19
NEW YORK (AP) — Migrant families were moved out of a midtown Manhattan hotel on Rekubit ExchangeTuesday as part of Mayor Eric Adams’ plan to ease the pressure on New York City’s strained shelter system by imposing a 60-day limit on shelter stays.
The roughly 40 families that left Row NYC, in the heart of the city’s Theater District, are the first of scores of families that are expected to leave city shelters in the coming weeks. Some of those leaving on Tuesday immediately reapplied for beds, while others said they had managed to find more permanent accommodations outside of the system.
Adams, a Democrat, imposed the limit in October for homeless migrant families, saying the move was necessary to relieve a shelter system overwhelmed by asylum-seekers crossing the southern U.S. border.
Maria Quero, a 26-year-old from Venezuela who is nearly nine months pregnant, was among those standing outside the Row hotel Tuesday morning with her luggage and other personal effects in tow.
She said her plan was to head across town to the Roosevelt Hotel, another midtown accommodation that’s been repurposed as an intake center for arriving migrants. There, city officials say, migrant families could reapply for another 60-day stay in the shelter system.
“We have no idea what is going to happen there,” Quero said in Spanish as her husband, David Dominguez, gathered their belongings for the roughly 20-minute walk. “It’s very stressful. It gives me a lot of anxiety.”
The two, who arrived in the country six months ago and had been at the Row for five months, said they don’t have friends or family they can stay with if they can’t secure another city bed.
“Let’s hope we have a suitable place. We know people who have been to the tents while they are pregnant,” added Dominguez, referring to the temporary shelters the city has erected in Brooklyn to house the newest arrivals. “A woman cannot be in a tent when she’s pregnant.”
The Adams administration has warned for weeks that no one seeking a new placement is guaranteed another bed.
But Adams and other city officials said Monday that they would prioritize families and try to place them near their children’s schools in order to minimize any disruption to their education.
“This is not going to be a city where we’re going to place children and families on the street and have them sleep on the street,” Adams said ahead of Tuesday’s move-outs. “That is not going to happen.”
Immigrant advocates have held rallies in recent days saying the new policy could lead to families waiting in long lines in the bitter cold to secure a new shelter placement — the situation single migrant adults have faced since the fall, when they were limited to 30 days in city shelters.
The time limits could also disrupt the schooling of migrant children who might have to change schools if their families are moved elsewhere, advocates say.
City Comptroller Brad Lander said Tuesday that he’s launching an investigation into the Adams’ administration’s implementation of the 60-day policy, including whether it was properly explained to families and its ultimate costs.
“What information is actually being provided to people? Are there protocols for the 60-day evictions?” he said outside the Row hotel as families checked out.
Some 4,800 eviction notices have been sent to migrant families in shelters.
Mayra Martinez, a 40-year-old mother from Colombia, said her three children have mixed feelings about leaving the Row.
The family had been living at the hotel for more than a year and have saved up enough to rent a three-bedroom apartment in nearby Newark, New Jersey.
“They like it here, but you can’t cook in the hotel and they miss home-cooked food,” Martinez said in Spanish as she and her husband loaded their belongings into a waiting rideshare. “They’re also a little sad because of their school. They’ll have to change and get used to a new school.”
The hotel evictions occurred as city officials also temporarily evacuated nearly 2,000 migrants housed at Floyd Bennett Field, the former airport in Brooklyn, ahead of a potentially damaging storm. Adams’ administration had erected the temporary shelter at the airfield in response to the waves of new immigrants arriving in the city.
“To be clear, this relocation is a proactive measure being taken out of an abundance of caution to ensure the safety and well-being of individuals working and living at the center,” Kayla Mamelak, an Adams spokesperson, said in a statement. “The relocation will continue until any weather conditions that may arise have stabilized and the facility is once again fit for living.”
The residents, many of them families with children, were sent to nearby James Madison High School, also in Brooklyn.
___
Associated Press reporter Jennifer Peltz contributed to this story.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- State trooper who fatally shot man at hospital was justified in use of deadly force, report says
- Stranger Things' Priah Ferguson Talks Finale & Bath & Body Works Drop—Including an Eddie’s Jacket Candle
- Olympian Stephen Nedoroscik Will Compete on Dancing With the Stars Season 33
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Krispy Kreme, Dr Pepper collaborate on new doughnut collection to kick off football season
- Arkansas Supreme Court upholds rejection of abortion rights petitions, blocking ballot measure
- Ohio woman accused of killing a cat, eating it in front of people
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Arkansas Supreme Court upholds rejection of abortion rights petitions, blocking ballot measure
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- A bloomin' good deal: Outback Steakhouse gives away free apps to kick off football season
- Ohio woman needs 9 stitches after being hit by airborne Hulk Hogan beer can
- Takeaways from AP’s report on what the US can learn from other nations about maternal deaths
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Slumping Mariners to fire manager Scott Servais
- College Football season is about to kick off. Here are our record projections for every team
- 'Ben Affleck, hang in there!' Mindy Kaling jokes as Democratic National Convention host
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
State trooper who fatally shot man at hospital was justified in use of deadly force, report says
Headlined by speech from Jerome Powell, Fed's Jackson Hole symposium set to begin
Steph Curry says Kamala Harris can bring unity back to country as president
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
How Teen Mom's Cory Wharton and Cheyenne Floyd Reacted When Daughter Ryder, 7, Was Called the N-Word
Convicted drug dealer whose sentence was commuted by Trump charged with domestic violence
Convicted drug dealer whose sentence was commuted by Trump charged with domestic violence